Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
April 1 seems to be a good start to steady fish.

Not sure what the snow or quick warm up might do?

I do know that the Herons showed up really early this year, so the fish can not be far behind.

I will be checking out the action or lack of action later this week.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Mid-March, if you can handle the blustery conditions and water conditions (mud and high water) cooperate. That's when you get the bigger female white perch filled with roe. After that its an onslaught of the smaller males.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I always look for the dogwoods to bloom. When they bloom, the bite should be on. I think they've seen a few in the nets as somebody else said earlier, here but not in big numbers yet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
April 1 seems to be a good start to steady fish.

Not sure what the snow or quick warm up might do?

I do know that the Herons showed up really early this year, so the fish can not be far behind.

I will be checking out the action or lack of action later this week.
Hell I saw Herons all winter long while goose and duck hunting I wouldn't count on that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ED k-- Lots of Herons come to an Island on the James around 12th st downtown to nest, make bird love, hang, fish, smoke cigs, etc.

Usually around 1st week in March.

They showed up about 2 weeks ago.

Last year the fishing and the Heron PArty seemed to be happening at the same time.

Speaking of Herons...I saw one eating in a storm retention pond by Circuit City at Va.Center today stopped to see what he was having and saw that there are carp in the retention pond the size of a Yugo.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The carp...

Ha ha ha... that reminds me of the first time I saw those guys and ugly koi (same thing) there a few years ago. It was the smaller pond next to the PetsMart there. My kid daughter and I were walking past and I stopped to look for minnows in the shallows.

My daughter started telling me how dumb I was, there were no fish there...

And about two seconds later, this HUGE white koi surfaces!!!

Ha ha ha, to YOU kid!

(Psst Darren... use this story on her this spring...)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Had a buddy out in a river thats right be the state line thats a good spot day before yesterday and didn't get the first shad or perch. Got the skunk. He's supposed to go out tomarrow again. Will report back if I hear anything.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shad

The Dogwood bloom has already been mentioned. That old tale is fairly close. I give it it a few days depending on how warm it has been.

I also watch for St. Patty's Day. March 17th and calendar spring at March 20th. In Richmond I will seea few shad around these times. Give another week and the bite is steady..

Bottomrig

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll help end some of the suspense at least for Saturday, March 7, 2009. The only thing I accomplished at Ancarrow's Landing/Slave Trail was getting a history lesson on 'Nam from an old Marine and washin' the offseason dust off of my jigs in some pretty cold water. At least my rods and reels work alright.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.