Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I made it out yesterday around 6:15am, and we didn't get back til almost 6... was a long day, but well worth it.

We left NAS and went south west for about 15 miles... came up onto a storm, and decided we'd wait here til it passed, and continue to our spot. Dropped a few northerns in the water, and before we knew it, everyone was re-rigging...we found a nice school of kings. about an hour and a half later, we couldn't put anymore in the cooler... 8 nice kings (no giants)...

Left there for the wreck, another mile and a half since we drifted for the kings...

On the wreck (using pin fish and cigars), the first 8 fish up were red and black grouper, just inches from legal, so they all went back in, a couple of legal red snapper, but all in all, small fish here. I went up on the bow, and took a 20-30 minute nap. Then my name was yelled out.

1 hour and 15 minutes later (along with a few smacks of a billy club) we landed a 5 1/2' black tip. We put him in the king bag, iced him up, and headed in, stopping off at another spot.

We were no more than 9 miles from the inlet when we anchored, and we pulled in 2 nice snapper (around 12-13 lbs) as well as almost limiting out on keepers. Most of them that came out of the water were 17-19, with the exception of the 2 bigger ones. All caught on cigar minnows and cut northerns.

Rained like hell on the way in, but it was a refreshing end to a long day (and helped us with clean-up HAHA)

THE Fishing Squid

ps. sorry no pics

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice report Dan. Wish I were there to take advantage of the fishing. Been some time since I was stationed there.

keep em tight.....Kurt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VA

Well, Rudee Inlet has some NICE flounder there, and I've had a lot of luck at Lynhaven Inlet with trout (wading)... I can tell you, the croaker and striper on the pier at Norfolk are awesome, as well as trout early in the morning (4-5) on sabaki rigs...

So, you don't have it TOO bad up there, but fishing down here is nice... I'll be sure to bring my camera next time I go out so you can see what you're not hookin up there.

THE Fishing Squid

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Good report Fishing Squid

Who had the boat , was it a party boat , charter boat ?
If it was a bud of your's thats a great friend. But if it was one of the others what did it cost ya ? And who was it?

Don't eat all that at one time.:---> 8(---)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the boat

Well Koz, it was actually a "new friend" I just met Sat morning. He was waiting on some people to show up... and I asked him... if they didn't show up if I could ride. He said I could go since only one came, with his wife.. so I rode out with them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No question Rudee and Lynnhaven inlets have some excellent fishing. I've also done well at the NOB pier, lotsa' flatties and croaker.

I like the potential of warmer year-round fishing available in the pcola area.

Hitching a ride on the boat...man, ya gotta love it :) .

keep em tight.....Kurt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NOB in 2006

Kurt,

Well, if worse comes to worse, I'll meet ya somewhere in May/June of 2006 when I'm back on sea duty... and more than likely, back in VA.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
That was mighty nice of your new friend Fishing Squid. Did you find out what time the next trip leaves. :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
No doubt I'll be here Dan, probably still trying to get the smell of my rod ;) .

.....Kurt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts