Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a US Senator 113N to do some sharkin on the OBX. Would I be a fool to spool with 65lb braid to 50lb mono as a top shot, then to something like 200lb mono shock leader, then to the wire? I think that should hold a pretty big one. I may get spooled, but if that's the case it would have been more than my son and I could handle anyway. What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
322 Posts
What you are suggesting is pretty standard for the GOM. It should work for the OBX as well. You might consider adding a float (empty jug) to keep the braid from abrading on sand bars.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If your in a area with boat traffic you will get cut off if you have your line up high. Most boats cruise by early am sunrise to check the beach for bait and fish. Other then that it's random or charters coming in but the returning charters usually stay in the channels. If for kayak 65#braid to a topshot of like 40yds of 100#, if you use it for caster shorten it to about 40ft 100 to your leader. Then for a kayak rig most people use 30 to 40ft of heavy mono 300-1200# for shark abrasion and how the rig works best. Your weight slides on the leader and the shark can run 30 to 40 ft before he feels the weight because you set the drag loose. It's a very effective rig with a circle hook. The heavy mono topshot helps a lot if your around ledges, bars, rocks etc. A shark skin will easily break 50# if the other leader isn't long enough. Some sharks spin and roll an that wraps a lot of leader up quickly. Specifically blacktips are really hard on tackle. It sounds stupid but they really are one of the nastiest sharks all the way around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts