Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Movie Beard Facial hair Fictional character

For those who watch the show Game Of Thrones.

The winter is coming and I have decided to purchase and mag a Penn squidder. I was going to cleaning it up a bit and what not and I was curious what material squidder side plate is made of. I tried google searching and did not have any success. I was going to restore it as much as I can and if the plate is made of aluminum I was going to anodize it for fun. Thank you in advance

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
The OLD ones are BAKELITE ( a type of Phenolic ) . . . The NEWER ones are PLASTIC.

I prefer the plastic side-plates, as the older Bakelite ones were prone to chipping.

I haven't noticed any difference in performance between the two.

Tight Lines !

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Anyway, to the OP, bakelite or plastic both work fine with 2 part epoxy as far as securing magnets is concerned. I once made a knobby mag setup for a Jigmaster that worked pretty well, if you have some extra time you can do that. I threaded a 3/8" heli-coil into the Jigmaster's sideplate, then used a 3/8" thumb screw for the adjustable magnet. I can't say it got me any extra distance casting compared to a static mag, but it was a good winter project. I finally broke down and bought a bunch of sloshes and a couple saltists used on eBay, and my squidder/jigmaster days are a distant memory (as are my active fishing days, it seems). Don't overlook the Daiwa Sealine 50H for this kind of project, it has a solid aluminum frame and sideplates, if that's what you're after. `Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone! I just won the auction for a squidder for $25 (shipping included) and went ahead and ordered lee valley 1/4" x 1/4" magnets. After everything is good mechanically I am going to restore the Reel or when I receive it I might keep it vintage look because thats pretty cool too

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Thank you everyone! I just won the auction for a squidder for $25 (shipping included) and went ahead and ordered lee valley 1/4" x 1/4" magnets. After everything is good mechanically I am going to restore the Reel or when I receive it I might keep it vintage look because thats pretty cool too
Does it have the Aluminum Spool ? If it doesn't, it either has the Chrome over Brass spool ( almost impossible not to BacklasH ) or the Plastic ( "Cycolac" ) spool with "Air-Brake Fins", which will break if you use mono on it, due to the compression of the line under tension . . . ONLY the Aluminum Spool can be "magged".

Fortunately, the Aluminum Spools are easy to come by, as are replacement parts.

Post up some pics of the reel, when you get it !

Tight Lines !

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Yes I believe it is with the aluminum spool
Great . . , You should be fine !

One thing I like to do on mine is to swap out the standard 24-155 handle for a 24-66 handle. It's longer and, to me, works better on the reel. Also, the three-position 24-56 handle works well, too !

Another mod I do is to cut off the tip of the lever that allows the reel to turn backwards, while in gear, and smooth it with a file, afterwards.

I do this for two reasons . . . It it uncomfortable for me when I'm casting and I don't want to accidentally bump the lever while fishing. I can post pics, if you like?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great . . , You should be fine !

One thing I like to do on mine is to swap out the standard 24-155 handle for a 24-66 handle. It's longer and, to me, works better on the reel. Also, the three-position 24-56 handle works well, too !

Another mod I do is to cut off the tip of the lever that allows the reel to turn backwards, while in gear, and smooth it with a file, afterwards.

I do this for two reasons . . . It it uncomfortable for me when I'm casting and I don't want to accidentally bump the lever while fishing. I can post pics, if you like?
That would be great. More information the better

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
That would be great. More information the better
OK . . . The first pic is of a 145 Squidder ( The "mid-width" model ) I just got for $8.00 at a garage sale last weekend. It shows the Stock lever.

The second pic shows two of my 140L's with Newell crossbars in place of the original crossbars, longer 24-66 handles, and the modified levers.

The third pic shows the difference between the 24-155 ( Standard Squidder handle ) and the longer 24-66 handle.

I found a pic online that shows all three types of handles, 24-155, 24-66 and 24-56 together ( disregard the 4th one on the far left ) . . . Those have the older hard plastic knob, as opposed to the newer rubberized ones, which I prefer.

Metal Brass

Auto part Metal

Fishing reel Tool

Metal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts