Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up for a surf,spinning rig for an OBX visit late Oct.
Always liked Penn products. Of the current reel offerings, which would be the better choice regarding quality and rugged endurance. I only want to do this once. And a Penn rod. I prefer the longer, heavier models ... like 4>8 oz bait
Thanks,
A

·
Registered
26 Posts
Setting up for a surf,spinning rig for an OBX visit late Oct.
Always liked Penn products. Of the current reel offerings, which would be the better choice regarding quality and rugged endurance. I only want to do this once. And a Penn rod. I prefer the longer, heavier models ... like 4>8 oz bait
Thanks,
A
penn battalion 12 xheavy and penn conflict 6k wont break the bank either

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you go on Ebay you can find Penn Slammers from Australia for under $100, and around $25 shipping worldwide. These aren't the current Slammer III (but they aren't $250. either) yet you get an all aluminum Penn body, HT100 drag, completely sealed bearings, an extremely well balanced rotor, and legendary Penn toughness. They're sized the equivalent of 2500 through 6500. If you're an occasional surf fisherman they might not be a bad way to go.

The only issue for you might be shipping time, you can likely expect delivery before the middle of October, but you might think that's cutting it close.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
How much do you plan to use it.. One to Two weeks a year ?
The Penn Battle IIIs will be just fine. You can actually get a way with a Fierce no more than you plan to use it. Assuming also that your targeted fishery is Sea Mullet, Spot, etc

In a 4-8 the Penn Battalion 11 ft Heavy .. the sweet spot on the rod will be 5 or 6 ounces and bait.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much do you plan to use it.. One to Two weeks a year ?
The Penn Battle IIIs will be just fine. You can actually get a way with a Fierce no more than you plan to use it. Assuming also that your targeted fishery is Sea Mullet, Spot, etc

In a 4-8 the Penn Battalion 11 ft Heavy .. the sweet spot on the rod will be 5 or 6 ounces and bait.
2 to 4 weeks a year, for several years. I like quality, and realize it has to be paid for.
However, I don't need the Rolls, but don't want a Geo either :)
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
2 to 4 weeks a year, for several years. I like quality, and realize it has to be paid for.
However, I don't need the Rolls, but don't want a Geo either :)
Thanks again.
Well Look "Big Spender"... A Penn Battle will do all you need it to do no more than you'll be using it...! I know guys who are the beach every week using the Penn Fierce reels catching the hell out of fish year after year. I also know guys who come out with Century Rods and Saltiga reels and cant catch Schitt.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If you go on Ebay you can find Penn Slammers from Australia for under $100, and around $25 shipping worldwide. These aren't the current Slammer III (but they aren't $250. either) yet you get an all aluminum Penn body, HT100 drag, completely sealed bearings, an extremely well balanced rotor, and legendary Penn toughness. They're sized the equivalent of 2500 through 6500. If you're an occasional surf fisherman they might not be a bad way to go.

The only issue for you might be shipping time, you can likely expect delivery before the middle of October, but you might think that's cutting it close.
Just so you know those reels are the Chinese made Gen one series... Not even close to the American ones the paint on them bubble up after prolonged exposure to a salty environment

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just so you know those reels are the Chinese made Gen one series... Not even close to the American ones the paint on them bubble up after prolonged exposure to a salty environment
Ok, Thanks for that info. I guess when something seems too good to be true it likely is. That being said, are there any Penns not made in China?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts