Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name's Travis and I'm new to the forums and fishing in general. I saw a Penn 330 GTI reel on clearance recently for only $50. Does anyone have any experience with these reels?

I'm mainly going to be fishing off piers here in the Tampa Bay area. (Sunshine Skyway, Pier 60, etc.)

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
If it's only $50 bucks, I'd get it. They aren't the greatest reels, but they're not all that bad either. A buddy of mine caught an 82 lb cobia with one last year.

·
Registered
854 Posts
First off they are a very versatile reel and well made. Would be ideal for your area. And a great price. And yes they can be casted as I use one for when the Big Reds show here in Jax. Beach from the Pier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info....

I'm currently on an extremely limited budget and looking for a rod/reel of decent quality that I can aquire for as cheap as possible.

I ran across this particular reel on clearance. It was either the Penn GTI 330 or an Okuma Avenger AFB-65 reel/rod combo.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
$50.00 is a good price for that reel...NEW! Personally, I think you could find a very nice older Made in USA Penn Jigmaster with an alluminum spool that you could mag or have someone mag for you for around $30 used on Ebay. I think that would be a better all-around reel for the type of fishing you'll be doing. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
SportRacer that reel New is 95.00$ plus new. Yes an old JigMaster is great. But why would he need Mags for a Pier or Bridge reel? He is fishing in Tampa not the Desert of Daytona.
LOL...I know the retail on the reel is $95 new, what I was saying was that $50 new was a great price. Maybe I just didn't phrase it correctly. If he's gonna drop straight down, you're right...no need to mag, but he may wanna toss once in a while as well. If not, he doesn't have to mag it. All I'm saying is that a $30 US made Jigmaster will accomplish the same and probably last longer as well. If a levelwind feature is important, then by all means go with the 330!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.