Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penn 980 mag New bearingsand caps, bridge&sleeve, rachet and spring, side plates and frame excellent condition. 175.00 firm
or trade for excellent condition 970 mag.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am interested...

but; I would like to find out more about these Penn 970/980 reels, before I buy. I have read your posts about getting rid of some of your other reels and fishing with these, but; WHY??? I am interested in learning more? How old are these reels? How much line do they hold and of what test? I will be in Hatteras from Jan. 1-4. I am staying in Kinnakeet. Thanks, Larry the pelican man. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? dependable, easy to maintain, once you figure out how to put the racket dog spring in. Good gear ratio for big fish, especially if a strong current is running. Made from materials that were meant to last, more than a couple of seasons. A bit tempermental, to cast, but once you set them up thats it A good drag, they have ht-100's installed to replace the original ones.
And finally have fished hard north last week , nags head to the inlet last week, 13 fish 38-46" never did a drag stick, or slip. Many years ago problem that I had with the bridge screw coming out, especially the one that holds rachet dog in place, was remedied, with 1/2 drop of blue loctite on each screw, and never had the trouble again. Abu, which I still have many of, but was disappointed in the cheap-ass 7000hsn parts made in the far east, and assembled in sweden, but after trashing the original bearings, pinion and main drive gear it seems to be ok, but the frame is a lot thinner that the original 7000 or 7500. The 980 was very popular here as a drum reel, years ago; but its too wide, and that is why I am after the 970, which is the perfect size for me. e-mail before you come down and will email you my number and you can look at it if you want. Oldies but goodies.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fish are north of the inlet, a few here and there on Hatteras, but not in numbers. Great flounder bite south of Frisco, but I gig flounder and don't fish for them. Look north and if I were fishing right now, I would not bother south of Pea Island, oops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts