Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone "tuned" a 975 CS ? Is this an acceptable surf casting reel? Is there anything in print or does anyone have experience with them?

I'm just getting started with conventional reels in the surf and recieved one as a gift, I feel lucky, should I? Any info or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
KM

·
Registered
578 Posts
The 975cs is an acceptable surf reel but I think you would be better off with a penn 525 mag .The 525mag has more advanced easier to use breaking systems . Don't understand why penn did the 900 series without mag breaking , they had already developed it for the 525. See if you can return for exchange , you should also get about $100 back .

·
Registered
193 Posts
925cs

Use one as a backup drum reel, only use 2 blocks on, clean the bearings of penn oil, use 20 wt. Remove the right spool cap, remove the plastic bushing (throw it away) and install a 55-113H bearing, I also polish the spool shaft ends and the pinion and drive gears, then its equal to an abu in smoothness, a good reel with the right ratio for bait fishing, but way over priced, but then again its metal, which I am partial to, instead of a graphite composite.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

Connmann I think you're probably right, but this is one of those gifts you can't refuse.

Also it looks reel good on the front bumper of my Jeep, you know like those charter boat guys!

But just so you know I value your guidance I'll be ordering one of those Penn Mags this week, should I order it with the mag upgrade or is the standard version OK?

thanks again,

KM

·
Registered
578 Posts
O I would certainly keep it as a gift but if I had the chance I would exchange , depending on who gave it to you ,you might have to tell a white lie to protect the innocent . If you make it to one of our casting sessions , we will get it set up to be capable of 200 yards , it will be up to you to do the rest .
Forecast for this weekend looks bad , being told it may be in the teens thru the weekend , even I don't cast in that cold .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts