Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think that the Penn 8500SS and a Ugly stick 11' rod would be a good setup to surf fish the bay?

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you have not spent the money yet, lay off the ugly stik and spend a bit more for a Tica. The ugly stiks are too soft, IMO, and you will wish you had more stick when it comes to fighting a big fish. As for the reel, I have one, it is a tank, and I can cast it pretty good, but the spool design is not made for distance. An Emblem or Shimano reel may suit you better if you are looking for distance. Maybe even one of the larger bait runner type of reels.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I own a Penn 850ss (same reel, just 1 generation older) and I've fished w/ it for years w/ no problems and little maintenence. It serves double duty; I've got a 11'6" lamiglass surf rod and a 6'6" penn slammer boat rod that it goes with very well. I've caught 15-18lb. Blues & Drum from the surf and 30lb. Amberjack, 40lb. Striper, and 70lb. Yellowfin from the boat with it and it's still works like new!! Go for it!!

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I agree, layoff the Ugly Stick. I have a 9' ugly with Penn 6500ss. I also have a 11' Tica and it is a far better rod than the ugly for 20 or 30 bucks more.

If you can't afford the extra 20 or 30 bucks, look at Okuma's new IM6 Graphite Rod. It is comparable to the Tica but is 30 dollars cheaper. I'm getting one myself, 12' cost about 70 bucks at http://www.digitaldagger.com

·
Registered
905 Posts
Right now, I'm partial to the Diawa Sealine-X line. I have the 12' matched with the Diawa Emblem-XT reel. The rod is relatively lightweight, yet sturdy. And like I said, right now, it's my favorite combo, it casts and handles well. fyi, i also have 15' and 12' ugly sticks, tica UEHA 10', OceanMaster 12', Diawa Eliminator 12', but the sealine-x is my rod of choice at this moment. i am willing to sell the ugly sticks if interested.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it a surf rod, what line what weight, how old is it? Price sound good so far just some more info would be great.

·
Registered
905 Posts
12' ugly stick, surf rod, about a year old, handles 12-40lb line, not really sure about weight (assuming you mean sinker weight), i know it handle 4 oz weights with ease, because that's the weight i normally use. i assume it can handle anywhere between 2-8oz if need be.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good. Let's set somthing up. I live in Alexandria but I work appox. 1 mile north on 295 from the beltway.

·
Registered
905 Posts
yeah, ok, i work in crystal city, and i live in oxon hill, right across the wilson bride. let me know what is good for you, maybe sometime tomorrow, either way, i'll place the rod in my vehicle, so that way whenever we can meet up, i'll have it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just suggest a spot. I would like to do it after work between 5 and 6 or so. Either before the WW bridge, I live on Van Dorn or somewhere over here in Oxon Hills, not too familiar with this area but can find my way around.

Let me know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts