Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I king fish from piers here in Myrtle Beach and i was wondering if a Penn 535 is a good throwing reel. I went with the 535 instead of the 525 because the 525 is to small. For you that know what i am talking about i throw a 8oz anchor about 125yards from the pier.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi "fisher446",

A good friend told me that BlackBeard cast a 535 200 yards. I do not know the setup he was using. With a 535 knobby, 20# BG, 6 ounce sinker and a Cono-flex rod, a friend cast about 165 yards. We didn't get a chance to really hammer it since kids started coming onto the field.

Hope this helps,
Don

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi fisher,

When you throw the anchor out 100+ yards...do you make the bait go all the way out to the anchor or is it just on top of the water where the anchor line hits the water?

todd

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I get my anchor set i get my fighting rod with a 6ft steel leader and put a bait on it, and slide it down the line. I slide it down so the bait is on top of the water, waiting for a king or what ever wants it to take it. When a fish hits it pops off of the anchor line and you are free to fight the fish on the fighting rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.