Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I bought a new used 525 mag off ebay for $120 brand new they go for $150 at BPS ....I love it ! ..I match it with a 12' OM the magnet helps alot in the wind too .. :) p

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm nuts about my mag 525. It always goes fishing with me. When you get in a blitz you'll be fishing while others are digging out backlashes. I use spiderwire because, when you're fishing at a long distance it's less affected by the current.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The 525 Mag is without a doubt my favorite Drum/Striper/Cobia reel! It'll hold real close to 300yds of 17# Sufix Tri-Plus, which is enough to stop all but the biggest fish in the ocean. $129?? Id jump on it! In fact I do need another one.....

G

·
Hey, any of you ever used a Penn # 10?
That has magnets, I think, and looks just like the Penn 9M, but has 4:1 gear ratio. That's another I'm going to try and remove the level wind.
But if anyone's got one, I'd like to know more about it. Penn didn't make em' for long and bought this one (discontinued)on sale last year at Oceans East for $35.
Tom

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi "windhawk",
The Penn Mag 10 is a nice little reel. The reel cast pretty good under normal conditions and if you really need to cast it out there, it would help if you added an extra magnet to the side plate as suggested on "Gowge's" web site. If you are serious about removing the level-wind, I sell a replacement bar on my web site. It is listed as a Penn Mag 10 Conversion Bar at this link:
http://www.thereelstuff.com/rods.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.