Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is $129.00 too much 4 a brand new one?Any pros or cons regarding the reel?I think it has magnets.I am plannining on matching it up with a 11'6 TICA,tapered off to the 2nd guide. :confused:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me as I've been looking at them myself. The cheapest I've found so far is $149. :(

Any secret info you might want to share as where to get this type of deal? ;)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Is that for the GS525 or the 525MAG. 129 is list for the GS and 149 is list for the MAG.
I have the 525MAG it is a very fast reel.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Line capacity is not that great if you need lots of line for fish that make long runs like drum, sharks, etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Neil Mackellow, who develops tackle for Penn UK , has started selling magged versions of the 535, 545, and 555 on his website. Has anybody tried them out yet?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I bought a new used 525 mag off ebay for $120 brand new they go for $150 at BPS ....I love it ! ..I match it with a 12' OM the magnet helps alot in the wind too .. :) p

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm nuts about my mag 525. It always goes fishing with me. When you get in a blitz you'll be fishing while others are digging out backlashes. I use spiderwire because, when you're fishing at a long distance it's less affected by the current.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The 525 Mag is without a doubt my favorite Drum/Striper/Cobia reel! It'll hold real close to 300yds of 17# Sufix Tri-Plus, which is enough to stop all but the biggest fish in the ocean. $129?? Id jump on it! In fact I do need another one.....

W

·
0 Posts
Hey, any of you ever used a Penn # 10?
That has magnets, I think, and looks just like the Penn 9M, but has 4:1 gear ratio. That's another I'm going to try and remove the level wind.
But if anyone's got one, I'd like to know more about it. Penn didn't make em' for long and bought this one (discontinued)on sale last year at Oceans East for $35.
Tom

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi "windhawk",
The Penn Mag 10 is a nice little reel. The reel cast pretty good under normal conditions and if you really need to cast it out there, it would help if you added an extra magnet to the side plate as suggested on "Gowge's" web site. If you are serious about removing the level-wind, I sell a replacement bar on my web site. It is listed as a Penn Mag 10 Conversion Bar at this link:
http://www.thereelstuff.com/rods.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lars, I bought a Penn 535 Knobby Mag from Blackbeard while he was at the Florida Expo last month and love it. It gives up very little distance compared to my 525 Mag.

CrackerBob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts