Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Penn 525 Mag Question - Single Magnet vs Multiple Magnets

Question - Which performs best in fishing situations, the "SLIDY" 4 magnet arrangement, the 8 magnet "XTRA" arrangement, or the UK single magnet "TOURNAMAG" setup, in terms of total magnetic effect and spool braking ? Please explain the benefits and disadvantages, also.

Auto part Rotor Wheel Automotive wheel system Machine

Auto part Rotor Wheel Disc brake Automotive wheel system

Auto part Rotor Wheel

Tight Liines !

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Neither....the UK Super Mag Xtra is the best...and I've even added magnets to the back of the carriage of that one.....why, because the knobby is less likely to move between casts.......and the Super Mag Xtra retains the clicker......the Tournamag did not:

Auto part

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither....the UK Super Mag Xtra is the best...and I've even added magnets to the back of the carriage of that one.....why, because the knobby is less likely to move between casts.......and the Super Mag Xtra retains the clicker......the Tournamag did not:
Thanks for that info . . . The image you posted is the opposite side of the second image I posted, right ?

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't think so.....you were comparing the slidy with the tourno........assume your pic is of the slidy....don't have ready access to confirm.
In my original post, I uploaded all three types for comparison . . .

SLIDY version
Auto part Rotor Wheel Automotive wheel system Machine

XTRA version

Tournamag version
Auto part Rotor Wheel

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thats it....in your op your verbiage indicated 525 xtra.....rather than super mag xtra....two different reels....your last pic is definitely the super mag xtra.....best choice.....I would still add a couple magnets to the back of the carriage

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats it....in your op your verbiage indicated 525 xtra.....rather than super mag xtra....two different reels....your last pic is definitely the super mag xtra.....best choice.....I would still add a couple magnets to the back of the carriage
Would they need to be glued in or would the magnets hold themselves in place ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
You might consider gluing a larger magnet to the opposite side, affecting the other side of the spool. This would work to slow the spool at all times, and then you would adjust using the carriage. This was done to a pair of my 525s by Earl Brinn. He said it offered more control and I was brand new to bait casters. The magnets are still in there.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might consider gluing a larger magnet to the opposite side, affecting the other side of the spool. This would work to slow the spool at all times, and then you would adjust using the carriage. This was done to a pair of my 525s by Earl Brinn. He said it offered more control and I was brand new to bait casters. The magnets are still in there.
I remember Earl and I miss him, Charlie2, Spookasan, and Gowge, too . . . Great friends and fishermen !

I hadn't given any thought to static magging the handle-side of the 525. Do you have any pics of what Earl did to your reels ?

By the time-frame you referred to, that must have been 1998-2000, approximately, right ?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Would they need to be glued in or would the magnets hold themselves in place ?
Really? They are magnets, strong magnets. Even if you can throw those reels hard enough to create the eddy required to work the original magnets (Presuming you know it's the eddy created by a fast moving spool that allows the mags to do their thing, I.E., the faster the spool, the greater the magnetic force), those additional magnets aren't going anywhere if they're not glued.
I'm not sure what you think is the "best in fishing situations"' relative to "total magnetic effect and spool breaking", but if you think additional magnets will give you any advantage, go for it, and let us know how it works.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I just fixed a 525 for my friend that had a loose magnet. He had no idea what was wrong other than his mag slide wouldnt slide to full. The stock mags can pop out and jam the reel

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Really? They are magnets, strong magnets. Even if you can throw those reels hard enough to create the eddy required to work the original magnets (Presuming you know it's the eddy created by a fast moving spool that allows the mags to do their thing, I.E., the faster the spool, the greater the magnetic force), those additional magnets aren't going anywhere if they're not glued.
I'm not sure what you think is the "best in fishing situations"' relative to "total magnetic effect and spool breaking", but if you think additional magnets will give you any advantage, go for it, and let us know how it works.
You really should know better, by now . . .

Your ignorance is stunning but, without taking up a lot of time and space here, reels don't have to be "thrown hard enough" for the eddy current to "work".

Rather than take my word for it, here's visual proof, unless this guy has the "world's fastest thumb" !

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
No need for gluing........all of my 525 mag versions had additional magnets added to the back of the carriage........they've always stayed in place.
I did that on my Slidy 525 Mag, but I was worried about having enough clearance on a Supermag 525 Xtra, which already has 8 magnets, on a completely different carrier, and uses a Knobby control.

·
Registered
631 Posts
U
You really should know better, by now . . .

Your ignorance is stunning but, without taking up a lot of time and space here, reels don't have to be "thrown hard enough" for the eddy current to "work".

Rather than take my word for it, here's visual proof, unless this guy has the "world's fastest thumb" !

Show me where I said a reel must be thrown hard enough for the eddy to work. I said IF YOU CAN THROW A REEL HARD ENOUGH FOR THE ORIGINAL MAGS TO DO THEIR WORK. Slight difference in meaning between YOU being capable of throwing any of those reels hard enough, and the reels NEEDING to be thrown hard for the magnets to work. Then after rereading the REMAINDER of what I said, check your name calling at the door. And in case you missed the point entirely, your follow-up validates the notion that you don't really need those extra magnets, unless, of course, you want less distance during the easier control you're apparently seeking. And BTW, we're talking, no YOU were talking in a fishing situation.
Case in point, I still have and fish Neil's design of the Penn 525 knobby mag that I employed in competition. It rarely needs, or gets, readjusting in flight when fishing, like it NEEDED to be in competition. I set it for the conditions, then only change it if conditions change. Also used an arsenal of various Abu mags in comps. Some are original set-ups. A couple I pimped myself. They've all been added to the fishing arsenal also. Now if you really want to know, I removed most all the magnets in the slider bars, leaving only one or two. Same goes for brake blocks in the non-magged reels. That's all I really need, even for the fastest in the bunch. If folks are accustomed to adjusting mags in flight when tossing any combo of terminal tackle and bait, I bow down to you.
Now if you choose to think of me as being ignorant of mags, or of folks who want to add more mags, well, that's your choice. Sorry I questioned your motive, full well knowing better that you already have all the answers in store, while being at the ready to call on them.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote : "Even if you can throw those reels hard enough to create the eddy . . ."

I don't have a smooth casting style, especially with two bad knees, a bad back, and a bad right shoulder . . . I still hit pretty good distance, but I've lost 30-40 yards because of those problems. The subject of additional magnets was not brought up by me. They were suggested by Dsurf & FishinMortician.

I can still typically throw 110 - 120 yds ( with pain ) . . . So, obviously, if the guy "thumb-spinning" the spool in the video is sufficient to "create the eddy", as you stated, that should be no issue for me, at all.

You are the one who came out with the sarcastic, condescending "attitude", not me . . . As for the "fishing situation", I was asking that to avoid references to tournament casting, which has no bearing on what I was asking about.

Your intention in replying to my posts was, obviously, not to offer help or information . . . I'm almost 55, wasn't born yesterday, and I didn't just fall off a chicken truck.

Unless you have something constructive to say, I have nothing further to say to you.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Quote : "Even if you can throw those reels hard enough to create the eddy . . ."

I don't have a smooth casting style, especially with two bad knees, a bad back, and a bad right shoulder . . . I still hit pretty good distance, but I've lost 30-40 yards because of those problems. The subject of additional magnets was not brought up by me. They were suggested by Dsurf & FishinMortician.

I can still typically throw 110 - 120 yds ( with pain ) . . . So, obviously, if the guy "thumb-spinning" the spool in the video is sufficient to "create the eddy", as you stated, that should be no issue for me, at all.

You are the one who came out with the sarcastic, condescending "attitude", not me . . . As for the "fishing situation", I was asking that to avoid references to tournament casting, which has no bearing on what I was asking about.

Your intention in replying to my posts was, obviously, not to offer help or information . . . I'm almost 55, wasn't born yesterday, and I didn't just fall off a chicken truck.

Unless you have something constructive to say, I have nothing further to say to you.
....only 55? I do have something constructive to say.....but why bother......
Again, you were right, I should have known better..... than to respond TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT ADDING MAGNETS, after someone else brought it up. Your're right, I should have known better.....than to enter into a thread, knowing the history of your defensive attitude and self serving responses. You're right, I should have known better.....than to be so condescending by going around the barn to get in some constructive inquiries which might solicit you're style of constructive answers. You're right, I should have known better..... than to be so bold as to challenge such a tackle guru as yourself with questions you choose to put your own protective spin on instead of answering.
Let's see if you're right in saying you have nothing further to say to me, UNLESS I have something constructive to say. Which I guess doesn't include questioning your input?
I'm still waiting for what you meant by "best in fishing situations" between the magged reels in the op. Would also appreciate hearing the advantages/disadvantages of the extra magnets you added to that 525 you mentioned.
Only 55? You're still a spring chicken. While recognizing, and understanding your current maladies, I can still be constructive in saying, enjoy what the future holds. And along that journey, respect your elders, even if it means putting up with this one. I'm near old enough to be your father, old enough to say that at your age, I pray your journey will be much longer. But I digress while you do too.
Back to the regularly scheduled programming.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts