Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if i should replace any parts to better gear up for sharks kings cobias etc right now i have removed the levelwind and have straight 50lbs dacron line what is the best setup for this reel

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Sounds like a solid setup.

If you really wanted to, you could upgrade to a stainless steel gear sleeve and carbon fiber drag washers. I believe alantani has a tutorial on the Penn reel rebuilds in the Bible.

Evan

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
pennparts.com used to carry the stainless gear sleeve for that reel, but they have been in short supply lately. Not sure they are still in stock or not. That's the first thing I would do. Not sure how you are going to use it, however. Do you plan to cast it, deep drop, etc? You may want to go with braid rather than the dacron. You'll get more line capacity than with the straight dacron, which you will probably need for the larger sharks if you are going to use that reel. Definitely, as kingfisherman23 said, upgrade to the HT 100 drags if they are not already installed. I would guess they are not, since it apparently has the chrome plated brass spool. Also, if you are going to cast it, I would also upgrade the spool to an aluminum one. You also may want to mag it if you are going to be casting it...unless you are a very accomplished caster. In addition, I think you could have just left the levelwind in place. You are looking, however, at a total of about $45-$50 for all the upgrades, plus shipping.

·
Registered
983 Posts
i agree with Sprtsracer the braid would be a great idea pretty much no matter wut you are doing, i personally will never say no to more line capacity, stick with 50# however, you might be able to bump up to 80# but your line capacity wont be as good, oh, and remember, with braid you dont set the drag to the breaking strength of the braid, you set it to the breaking strength of the line equivilancy, so for 50# braid i would set the drag to 15# or so..........as far as the gearing goes, its not a crucial step, but its a good idea, you can never have gears that are TOO good, and when it comes to removing the level wind, that would have been my choice too, i love a level wind when it comes to bay fishing or freshwater applications, but when it comes to casting for distance or fishing for fast fish (shark, kings, cob, etc.) iv actually had the fish run fast enough to where the level wind will jam because the spool is spinning so fast that the level wind cant keep up, also removing it greatly increases casting distance (for me anyway) the downside is that you have to level out the line on the spool with your hand, but from my experience thats not that big of a disconvenience :rolleyes:

hope this helps bud, Tight lines and God Bless :fishing:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im planning on casting it and i cant come to mind what spool it is but its all black and i will most likely use it as a drop back reel when on a boat so im not sure about maggin it

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input catfish i have another question though i have the 309 on a mariner and the reason i have dacron was because braid will cut through the guides so what rod would best suit what i have in mind

·
Registered
983 Posts
what type of guides are they? aluminum? porcelin? plastic? chrome? your best bet would be porcelin or chrome they stand up the best to abrasion and they wont bend like aluminum can (plastic is an all around no unless your usin a "snoopy" pole for piggy perch), i have a 309 on a South Bend Black Beauty 2 (hard to find), its a great rod it has amazing sensitivity and yet still has the backbone to handle almost anything i throw at it, it has the porcelin guides and iv never had a problem with the braid cutting through it.......your best bet in my opinion would be a PENN slammer or an UglyStik Tiger, they are both very resilient rods with great sensitivity and backbone and at the same time they wont break your bank account, :rolleyes: those would be my choices JMHO :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
your more than welcome amigo......see you should be set, and trust me if you get the braid, your setup will be pertty much ready for anything that comes your way, iv caught several kings, and a few 6'-7' sharks on this setup (no cobs tho, they dont really venture too close to shore here in Texas) so its a great setup, just make sure you take care of it and it will take care of you.......and whatever fish your tryin to catch ;)

tight lines and God bless bud :fishing:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If your spool is black and it's metal, then you already have the alluminum spool. Also, magging your reel won't make that much difference when you are using it on a boat. As for the rod, I know you are going to be casting it, but from where? Pier, surf, docks, bridge, and how far do you need to cast? How much weight will you be throwing? Size of bait? From the surf, the longer, the better. From a pier, I wouldn't go more than 8 ft. Take a look at some of BPS's Ocean Master rods. Most have Fuji guides. The Ugly Stick Tiger, as suggested, would be a good choice also. What I would do initially is use what you have for now, including the dacron. If you find you need more line capacity, and need to upgrade to braid, then adjust accordingly. You may find out that you don't like the reel and need a different one. You may love the reel and hate the rod. It won't takle you long to figure it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.