Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Keep it anyway.

Votes: 10 55.6%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a choice between keeping a meat fish like a cobe that was citation for release would you? I mean ya haven't caught one this year an ya have a 44"er would ya take th paper or th fish?

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Good question Cdog. It's a tough call on a fish that you can let go or kill. For me it varies from fish to fish. A red I would turn back (and now I have to by law :p ) but a cobe I would go ahead and harvest.

On some fish we're lucky enough to be able to kill <I>and</I> claim the paper.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Here's my two cents. In my recent experiences catching those monster bull reds, there's a sense of satisfaction releasing something that big and beautiful. If it was a cobe, I'd be tempted to keep it but at the same time I'd prolly just get a bunch of pictures and then release it. Besides, it's fun to watch the people who like to keep anything and everything regardless of regulations fume while I release the fish of their poaching dreams. :p

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
I think what steams me down here (in NC)is the way our citation program works on some species.. You can get a release citation on a cobe or a drummie,but when it comes to false albacore or jack crevelle,no release citation.. No citation at all on false albacore,and with jack you have to kill it first,30 something lbs,I think it is.. Who wants to keep a jack?? Those two species,IMHO,are about the hardest pulling inshore fish there are.. They should both have a release citation. Probably the worst tasting inshore species as well,so why are they encouraging keeping a jack crevelle,for paper??

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
For me I take it from fish to fish Like a large bluefish goes back in after a picture is taken and the same for a Striper, but I have yet to caught a trophy Striper and I think I might have to think about it. Now if I caught a large blackfish(or Tog as some of you call it) that meat is too good not to eat

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I am with koz and flea. Depending on the fish but if it was my first cobe I would have to keep it and savour the taste of my first one. Then I would work on citation.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Okay, my two cents - If it's your first, then more (hopefully) to come. I'd get some nice pictures, take the citation, frame them both, and have the memory and proof to last a lifetime.

Did this a few years back with my first Pickeral, and still have the pic and citation.

Nice to see when I can't be out fishing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If its my first...

what type of fish it is would determine my decision. I have never caught a trophy striper let alone a keeper. So if its my first one i might be tempted to keep it. Now a cobia would be different because everyone talks about how good they taste. I would definitly have to try it out since i never caught one before. Thats just my take on the subject.

MC

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Let's just say got my first "keeper" striper at Assateague Island November 15, 33", got some pictures and let her go. Guess it was me trying to influence the "Fishing God", and it wasn't my last from the surf. Also let my first blue go at 21". That said, neither was my last catch of the species, and still have pictures on my desk. Something special about those "First" ones.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
paper is worthless

I see no point to a citation as far as my personal satisfaction. I do see where it helps the fisheries keep track of the fish.
So there is no question here for me. Either I keep it to eat it or I release it. I don't even consider a citation. Someone could be there next to me ready to give me a citation on the spot and I'd tell them to get lost and stop killing trees you PETA lover.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I throw them all back except thru/thru eye and or head hooks--they wont make. The fish I dont eat, I use for cut bait.

I ate my first Jack last year--WOW it is really a bad eating fish, but is at the top of the list as a bad attitude on steroids fish that fights better than anything I have ever caught. Real shame to do anything with them other than thank em for the battle and let em go home.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
That's a hard one.As much as a conservationist I would like to think I am,I would be dining on Cobia steaks on the Grill,especially Sharkslayer's.
But if I caught the same species on a consistant basis,Catch-Take Pic-N-Release would be my option.

·
Registered
98 Posts
No-brainer!
Take a picture of you eating the cobia and get a Sharpie permanent marker and crown that picture a citation quality meal. No apologies, there are just some fish that are destined to the batter bowl & grease pan. (a little corn-bread doesn't hurt either)

Soapfish

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.