Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any tips on painting a rod blank. Maybe how to prep, what type of paint to use and maybe some other little tricks. Also i was wondering if i could use some vinyl glow paint that i have around from painting jig heads to paint the upper tip section of a rod.

Any Help would be great.

gillmen

·
Registered
92 Posts
paint

To get the best job go to a auto body shop and have them spray it. You must add flex agent to the paint ,like they use on car bumpers.
To buy all the stuff to do one rod is expensive.
Some guys said that krylon plastic paint has worked for them/. do not know never tried it, I have always used the car stuff and they turn out great. I have used permglos on bare blanks it looks great and seems to hold up well.
Short answer , need more help contact me.
Barry
I see you are in York,Pa my shop is in Elizabethtown.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Does any one have any tips on painting a rod blank. Maybe how to prep, what type of paint to use and maybe some other little tricks. Also i was wondering if i could use some vinyl glow paint that i have around from painting jig heads to paint the upper tip section of a rod.

Any Help would be great.

gillmen
What BDreamWeaver said sounds right, but I'd like to chime in about the glow paint on the top. I would either mix up some sort of glue with glow powder and apply that. I have a nice blue and a green glow powders that I paint some jigheads with. It's a frothy white in the light but once the sun goes down it is very bright if you use enough. The vinyl paint you buy doesn't have enough to see a good glow, I've tried it on jigs before.

If you don't like that idea, I know guys who take a can of white lacquer and apply several layers 6-10" from the tip and it works just fine. Cover your guides with masking tape. It'll come off after a while so if you decide you like it you don't have to keep it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
glow

I have done a number of rods with the reflective vinyl that they use on police cars and ambulances. I put it in between each guide and you can put a strip on the tip section. It is very thin and you can finish over it if you want,but do not have to,it is made to be outside. And you can get it in a bunch of colors.

·
Registered
862 Posts
They sell regular thread that glows in the dark at fabric stores. You could add it to the guide wrap but I do not know how strong it would be to use alone as a guide wrap.

John

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I have done a number of rods with the reflective vinyl that they use on police cars and ambulances. I put it in between each guide and you can put a strip on the tip section. It is very thin and you can finish over it if you want,but do not have to,it is made to be outside. And you can get it in a bunch of colors.
I thought of doing that for catfishing rods a while back. Seems like it would work great, add very little weight (which is not that important for a catfish rod, but still), and would be a neat "underwrap" of sorts. I'm curious how Permagloss would react with it though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.