Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to kayak fishing and I am buying a Malibu XL Pro 2 Tandem next week (Early Christmas present) with the full fishing/dive package and I was wondering, do you use double paddles like a regular kayak when fishing or do you use the doubles?:confused::confused:

Also, what do you do with the paddles when your casting or drift fishing,,,are there any paddle clamps or velcro straps avalable? :confused::confused:

Oh yeah, do you use a manual or auto PFD?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use a standard kayak paddle and lay it in my lap while drifting and casting. If I am anchored I stow it. I use a manual inflating PFD. It is what I am used to, but if your not used to being in the water under disstress then I would a foam PFD. The water activated ones will always be going off if you use them.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If you can find a used "Aqua-Bound" paddle, get it. The lighter the better. All the yakker's I know and fish with use the standard PFD, not the auto-inflate models. NRS makes a really nice one with pockets and straps in all the right places. Those brands seem to hold up well, so getting a used version of one will really save you some $$$$.

Oh yea, just get a paddle leash, you can even make your own, to keep that paddle in the boat when your fighting a fish. I'm a hypocrite, 'cause I don't have one, but I just lay the paddle on my lap when casting or fighting a fish. I don't need anymore things in the yak to have that stupid Mirrolure getting hooked into...:D

If possible, install a cup/can holder. Any fish that's boated goes straight for your beverage in between your legs. I think the side-eyes have drank more beverages than I with the amount of liquids that have been dumped by rambunctious hooked fishees.

Skunk

·
Registered
886 Posts
I made my own yak leash out of bungee cord. To stow it while drifting I wedge a blade into the for'ard bungee straps. You can also buy paddle clips to attach to your yak. If you don't go with a strap, then make sure you have a spare paddle where you can get to it. It'd suck to be a mile off shore, drop your paddle, and not be able to get it back...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your yak should come with some small bungees on the side to secure the paddle. I did buy a paddle leash that keeps the paddle tethered to my yak in case of a rollover.

When you get that thing rigged, give me call. We can head to Hartwell for some striper fishing. I'm planning on buying a bait tank, soon, to put on the back of my yak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts