Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm packing the truck to leave in the AM. Anyone got a last minute fishing report? How close can I get to the jetty with my truck?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Catching flounder in the surf as recently as 3-4 days ago 50-150 miles south of you!

Havent caught a single keeper inside of the estuary in weeks, other than just inside & by the jetties during incoming.

Water temps down here (NE SC) went back up again in the past few days to 71F, should be in the mid to low 60s by now, so that's not helping. I think the entire coast north of me all the way up to MD at least has been the same (higher than average water temps and fluctuating up and down).

Surf fishing here was almost completely dead throughout Oct when it should have been on fire. But in the past week its picked up some. Theres some nice whiting being caught now and some small reds around, but no trout yet. I think we need a good north easterly or at least a more pronounced and consistent drop in surf temps to really turn everything on.

Grab a cup of coffee, find a live cam feed online and see if anyone's catching anything on the piers. That's always a good indicator of how productive the surf is, and always more reliable that marina or bait shop reports.

This is a "little" 20"er I got the other night along with a 15" & 16". You can see my size 11 "surf cart" in the bottom left hand corner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that flounder season is closed in North Carolina now. I envy you with those flounder filets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that flounder season is closed in North Carolina now. I envy you with those flounder filets.
Thanks. Im down in SC. It was a good year for flounder, but it turned off like a light switch earlier than it should have as soon as those king tides started. The water temps are weird this year, started dropping a couple weeks ago, got "all the way down" to 67, then climbed back up to 71-72 last week (when it should have been in the low 60s). It dropped a cuple of degrees in the past couple of days, so might go give the surf a shot later this afternoon and see if anythings improved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We caught a bunch of flounder both legal and short. Threw them all back cause they were out of season. We weren't fishing for them. They were hitting cut bait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts