Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey DD, if you get a chance, keep us posted on those P&S boy’s! Us folks that didn’t make the trip south. What website is the most accurate for the weather on the OBX?

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
OBX Rookie said:
What website is the most accurate for the weather on the OBX?
When you find one,let me know...... :D

I met Kenmefish last night,he's kinda "close to the vest" about where exactly he's going tomorrow,but could tell he ain't sure whether to go for stripers or pups and trout.. I feel the same way.. :rolleyes: Good guy,we talked about his fishing exploits in Tex. I am going to have to go there one day...;)
Cdog got in about 10,so we didn't have much time to talk,but I think he's going after the striped critters. Rodwatch won't get here until tomorrow,told me he was going to try Ocock first,will keep ya posted..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On another post looked like everyone was fishing south beaches, with the wind change tonight and water temps I think I would stake out one of them nice holes on south beach and fish outgoing tide during sunrise. Had our best luck in these conditions last trip, at least it will be a little warmer and a little wet on Sunday. Hope things pick up soon! Looking forward to next report!:D

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Well we all fished the "secret hole" tonight. Nsearch4drum and Bucket had went all the way to the Va line and back down to where we were.. Now that's wanting a striper! :D I got to meet up with Nsearch,but Bucket was way down a the other end,cold ready to hit the road an get warm.. :rolleyes: Kenmefish,Cdog,Bucket,Rodwatcher,Old Salt,Mapcaster,nsearch4drum, and the whole gang wound up down there..
OBTW,did I forget to tell you that Cdog gottem one about 10min before I got there?? :D Way ta go DAWG!
PS Rodwatcher took water temp,54 degrees!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweeeeet! Was that on the outgoing tide about an hour after the sun went down? I hope Cdog made the trip to Anglers HQ and signed up for that tournament in the AM, will be looking for a pick on Jimmy’s website tomorrow, he had a 27lb striper and a nice 3.25lb speck on his board this afternoon. Do you have any stats on the feeesh? Sounds like a good size group of P&S boys made the trip, anybody else haven any luck? Sounds like Cdog is working on Top Angler for January 2004! :D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Way to go Cdog , can't wait for the Pics with that big smile on your face.:p

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Cdog slept in??.....guess he's" restin on his laurels"...but deserved ;) ...the R

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
The"Point" 1-17 & 1-18

Like DD said we goto to the Point at around 6ish.Set up,ooh and awed @ Cdog'S fish.....Congrats Cdog......That NC mojo is workin!
Now me,Bucket and Bassn need some!

Fished the Point as the crew headed back to DD's.......We were fishin a lil south of the "Point"but eventually got on top of the Point later in the evening.

Here are the Facts:

Satnite:NW winds,changing to SW later inthe nite,increased clouds and 80%chance of rain.
The front moved through the Winds changed to the desired direction but all that was caught all nite and morning were Doggies!:( .From 9pm till 530am doggie after doggie.Our bait situation was bad and got increasinly worse as the doggies lined up @ the buffet line).And everybody we checked had 4 day old....frozen or none at all, so bait was an issue.
$2.50 a lb for somethin ya wouldn't even feed yer dog?Highway robbery I tell yell ya!!
Thanxs Dillan's fer giving them leftovers fer free!

All in all....about 20+ doggies CNRed from Saturday evening till 530am....when Bucket finally ran outta beer(Pittsburg's Finest) and crashed.I had gotton up due to the lite rain...and cold front that pushed through(I hate sleepin waders).
Woke up to a blowing SW wind and a steady shower.According to RDT,the netters reported a large school of bait off of the point,so I baited up with last of the God Awful bait that was left over.....I can see why the Stripers are so rare,why would they want to be somewhere were there is no bait?

Fished the Point from 6am till we left @ around 10am.I was optimistic that with the SW winds,the fish would be greeting me in the AM.As bucket and Bassn snoozed,I fished two poles.
The 10ft OM was holdin bottom w/ 10oz and I drifted bait across the Point with the 11'6 tica(8oz).Was fishin the outgoing tide

Nada......all morning long just saw 1 skate landed....not a very good trip.No birds,gannets,boats.......

Saw Kenmefish and Mapcaster as we were leaving.....Wished them luck.

All in all had a great time with bucket,bassn,and the rest of the P&S crew.
Glad that I finally got to meet DD.

OBTW......did snag a 2003 Ford Explorer in Carrolla.4 ladies and there 2 kids had bottomed out ther truck as they exited the ramp(did not know how to put the truck in 4low).....Me and bassn dug as bucket pulled the truck out....so guess we didn't get skunked as we searched for stripers all the way up North....:D

That's all she wrote....unless all hell breaks loose in SB....thinkin of hangin the Skates till April....

Tight lines,
AL

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Great report Nserch4Drum . What brand of beer did you say Bucket was inhaling . Pittsburgh's finest ? Don't tell me it was IRON CITY BEER .:p

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Good reporting,Nserch4Drum. Great meetin up with you as well..

Well all of us are "skunked" today,so far.. Cdog's still fishin.. Got a call from one of my buds that they had caught fish at the false point this evening at 4 or so.. :( That's striper fishin though,you zig they zag... "The Crew" is gonna keep me posted while they fish tomorrow,as I gotta go back to the "4letter word".... :mad:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Nice report Nsearch, sorry you guys didn't get'em, maybe next time.

PS Did we create a monster?

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
NS4D pretty much summed it up. Covered lots of ground Saturday looking for birds and did ease drop on boaters out of Rudee & OI on VHF where it was even slow for them. Cdog caught 1 of the only 2 Rock caught from the beach from VA line to False Point Saturday. Dog's dues are finally paying off. I think Bassn could use some of your mo right now.

Finally ened up at the Point w/the prime spot by ~8pm as most everyone that knew better had left. DD catch you next time in say April or May for Spring Drum trip to OBX as I'm pretty much done until then after this weekend. Will see you online at DD's place or P&S board until then. Like NS4D said, fished Point through most of the night C&R doggies w/questionable at best bait. Surprised the dogfish even ate that mess :p

Yes Koz was ICB, hey what can I say except it was on sale :rolleyes: To add further insult to injury, truck through serpentine belt when tensioner pully failed making it a little longer ride back post Dr. White's repair.

Yeah I'm done for now ;)

`bucket

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it’s getting to the end of another weekend, my guess is all the P&S boys that made the trip south are either home, on the road or working that last fishing hole on the way off the island, you just never know when the big one is going to hit and you just wouldn’t feel right driving by bubba without giving him another chance to make your day!
I want to thank DD for keeping us informed about the gang’s activities or in some cases the lack of activities (sleeping in, we all know who that was). I wish everyone a safe return and look forward too everyone checking in with the final fishing report for the weekend, thanks to The Bucket and Nserch4Drum for already posting their final fishing reports.
Cdog has again landed another nice striper on this trip and is obviously not satisfied in winning Top Angler once in July of last year so he is getting an early start for the 2004 season. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
It was my first trip into NC and despite not catching any stripers, I did have a great time. The point at sunrise, wind in your face, there is no better place on earth. Thanks again Bucket and Nserch for letting me ride along. Had a great time...btw, we did have one small run on a heaver, but missed it as I got to the rod. Don't think that one was a doggie. As for hanging it up, well, only time will tell:D

todd

·
Registered
830 Posts
OBX REPORT 1/17 & 18

SQUAT for mapcaster and myself. We fished hard for two days and did not get a bite that I know of. Maybe bumped a trout or two on South Beach but no hookups.
We fished FP Friday and met the one and only Oldtimer. What a nice guy. More than willing to share his vast knowledge and even offered us bait.
From there we got back on the beach at the airport and drove from the pier to the Point. We did not fish but I wanted Mapcaster to at least see the famous point and the Lighthouse. Next stop was Ramp 34 where we fished from two hours before high tide to 2 hours after. We then went back to the trout hole on south beach and threw lures for awhile. Mapcaster had only hasd 2 hours sleep in the previou 24 so I was going to take him back to the room and then try to find some of the other P&S guys. As we started off the beach Cdog called and said he had just caught a striper at the point. Mapcaster decided he did not need sleep afterall. We went to Angler HQ in Hatterus village and Jimmy the owner gave us some bait. It was old but better than nothing so we went back to the point. Meet up with all the P&S people there and took over the secret hole. Sorry to say no more fish to be caught. Cdog caught the last damn striper in the secret hole. Drumdum said he would get it restocked before we came back. Finally went back to Drumdum place and got a good nights sleep. So good in fact we overslept and did'nt get back to the trout hole until 7:30 AM. Would you beleave someone had also caught all the trout. We then went to the point and fished from about 8:30 till dark. The water looked good, the weather was good, everything looked right for some fish. I sure wanted Mapcaster to catch a striper but it was not to be.
Any way it was a good trip and we had a good time. Meet a lot of great people and learned a little more about the great sport of surffishing.
Thanks to Jody and Ken for being such fine host and having really nice rooms. You will not find a better deal than staying at their place. Also the next time you go down that way buy something from Jimmy at Anglers HQ. Most shops sell bait until it is gone no mater how old it is. I know I will drive out of my way to buy bait from him from now on. It's nice to know some shops don't take advantage of us turons and sell us old bait.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Well I guess its my turn. ;-)

Budlight an I got down late friday night to DD's place. Went to bed an got up at 6 an headed to FP. Kenmefish an Mapcaster were talking to OT when we pulled up. Stuck out some baits while I chatted with OT an watched everybody else catching doggies. Saw some bird action at th rip so I headed over there an tossed metal but th birds weren't real active. Went back to th gang an hung out for a while longer. Got myself a spinny an we decided to bail. Went to Jimmy's an entered myself into th contest an HE GAVE US BAIT cuz it was old. Like to see that from some other tackle shops.:rolleyes: Well went back to DD's an got some lunch an rolled up to th point. Set up an fished with nothing for a long while. Bout 4 oclock my new OM starts dipping real slightly. After getting th doggie earlier I assume its a doggie. Tighten up th slack an feel weight an a head shake an thats bout it. Yep doggie allright. Budlight stats heading into th wash, "What ya got?" I holla back its a doggie. Well he gets close an says no it aint an reaches in an pulls a 33" striper out of th wash. My jaw like to drop on th ground. We get it up to th truck an weigh it an it weighs in at 15#. Called RW an KMF an Bucket an in a hour or so we got a right good gathering. Nothing else for that night though.

Slept in Sun morn an went to FP again an fished till 1 an left. Found out later a coulpe hours after we left there was a few caught there. Went to th point an fished till 8 PM with nothing but good company as KMF,Mapcaster,TW and RW were there. Bagged it an got up this morning an headed N. Stopped at a couple of places but nothing doing.

BTW rookie, weighed my fish in with Jimmy but I think that 27#er done beat it. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts