Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the old part of hwy 12 they left intact on the south side of the inlet is open to fishing yet? If not do you know when it may open?

thanks..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a website that keeps track of this? I was there October 2019 and returning mid October 2020 (hopefully) and was hoping it would be open to start fishing. Then again I'm hoping for not having a hurricane or a northeaster either, but that's out of my control too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a website that keeps track of this? I was there October 2019 and returning mid October 2020 (hopefully) and was hoping it would be open to start fishing. Then again I'm hoping for not having a hurricane or a northeaster either, but that's out of my control too.
Today's Outer Banks Headlines does a pretty good job of covering the latest on the OBX bridge projects. It is my understanding that they wont open the rest of the pier until the old bridge is fully demolished.

·
Registered
323 Posts
There is no mention on the IFP, of the bridge pier opening, so I doubt it. Maybe the other site was talking about the little bridge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wont believe it until I see it or Island Free Press writes it, they are the go to for any information on the bridge.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Long story short: Not open yet.

Long story: About a month ago, my son and I stopped by to try fishing from the rocks next to the old bridge (under the catwalk/fishing pier). Pretty soon, there were people walking along the catwalk and climbing down to the pilings to fish. We finally went out on the catwalk itself, climbing over the fence to do it, admittedly. Son caught a sweet striper on a sandflea next to the piling of all things. We decided to come back later that week, which we did. However, soon a Marine Patrol guy walked up to us and asked for my fishing license and if I had noticed the 'no fishing' signs. He said he wasn't going to write me up but the real problem would be if workers from the bridge-crew would call the Sherrif's office. That's where it could be worse. I decided to leave. The other two guys did not, saying "It's a weekend, the work crew isn't around to call on us".

It's as safe as it ever will be later, it's just that the crew parks near the end of the old bridge and stages some equipment there. There is some cleanup of the old bridge that needs to be done at the south end but the real demo work is only near the northern end now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the long short story clarification...I get it, protecting the crew and their gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts