Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fished the catwalk from the Bonner Bridge across Oregon Inlet for many years & have lately become increasingly disgusted with my fellow fishermen. Although a great place to fish, it seems that recently more people think the catwalk is a dumpster. Beer bottles, drink cans, old discarded fishing line.....and every bit of it that isn't cleaned up ends up it the sound or the ocean. Also, this nasty trashpile makes all of who fish there look bad.
My first request is obvious--CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF!!! If you take it out with you, bring it back--there is a dumpster in the parking lot.
My second request is this--I have been given permission by the N.C. Dept. of Transportation and the National Parks Service to organize a volunteer cleanup effort for the catwalk. The state will provide us with gloves & trash bags, & will pick up the full bags when we are done. I live in Va. Beach & will gladly commit one day a month myself. I need volunteers to help. If you live nearby or just enjoy fishing the catwalk as much as I do it would only take about an hour or so of your time. I welcome any suggestions, my thoughts are that it would be good to have enough people we could at least clean it up once a week--but the more the merrier. Please help if you can. A few responsible fisherman can make up for a lot of knuckleheads.
Respond to this thread or email me at [email protected]
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Wolfbass, first of all let me say that I think it is great that you have taken on this project. I have never actually fished th catwalk as it usally looks crowded an I don't like crowds. However I would be interested in offering my assistance on a clean up. Since I live about 3 1/4 hrs from th catwalk, once a week would not be feasable. Let me know how I can help an I will do my best to be there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I feel the same Wolfbass. I wade behind Bodie Light, the Propeller, and Green Island Slough and I'm always amazed at the amount of garbage left by other fisherman...makes you feel like the crying Indian from that commercial. Just plain sad. I always try to pick up stuff along the way.

I wish the park service would be more involved in enforcing the litter laws. A trashcan at the parking lot helps...but it also needs to be emptied with regularity. Maybe they could put up one of those bag holder things people put under their sinks to collect grocery bags. If you could mount one at either end of the catawalk, maybe people would be more inclined to use them. This works for dog parks...maybe it'll work the same.

I also wish the park service or whoever controls that bridge would patrol it more often...and not just for litter. How about the destruction of the chain link fencing and the christmas lights people put up.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
One would think that with as many folks displayin their OBX stickers and claimin the banks as their second home and with the govt services fallin all over themselves with conservation issues, they could at least take care of whats essential!!!!..........the R

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That's admirable that you're taking this on. I have fished the catwalk several times and when I did post my report, I also had the same report for the litter. I watched empty beer cans and plastic bags get pushed over the side when a gust of wind hits it.

Have you contacted the NC Beach Buggy Assoc.? http://www.ncbba.org/ I'm surprised they haven't adopted that spot yet. That seems to be the worst litter hole on the entire OBX. They have plenty of members and provide all the materials for clean up too. Not to mention the nifty little plates they give to members.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think it's great that you want to clean up that catwalk.

For the first time in over 20 years of vacationing on the OBX. I tried fishing off that catwalk, about 3 weeks ago.

Never Again

Access is the Problem. In recent years, I've begun seeking out places that are easily accessable. (My knees are just about shot.)

I'm amazed at the difference in the people that you see, in those places, compared to what I've been accustomed to seeing in the areas that are more difficult to reach.

I'm starting to understand the attraction of the private, club opperated, fishing piers.

As is so often the case, the "Real Fishermen" aren't the problem, but they are the losers, in this situation. And will bear the blame for this condition.

And while I'm Ranting

Why didn't they make that catwalk just a little bit narrower???

I just love being constantly crawled over, by "Bubba Beersucker" and every other "Sightseer" that's never seen water before.

And those guys pulling the "Hay Wagons" loaded with generators and lights and Lazy Boy Rocker/Recliners and "Beermeisters" and Gas Grills and AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
101 Posts
catwalk

i can remember when i was a young boy-40+ years ago-catching a 9 lb. flounder from the catwalk while fishing with my dad. there was nobody there but us. we beached the fish after walking around to the beach from off the catwalk. no small feat! this was in october 1962. you can imagine my surprise when when my dad said " we need to let him go." was he ahead ahead of his time or what? i guess times like those either instill conservationist values in you or they dont, in my case they did. we were given this great world by the creator, it is our responsibility to protect it and do our best to take care of it. hats off to all those who care enough to try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't be there physically, but I'm with you all the way in spirit!
I was brought up that when you camped, or fished or whatever you did outdoors to leave the area you used cleaner that what you found it, and I practice that to this day. I can't believe people sometimes.:mad:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Wolf my man, I couldn't agree more. It is a shame that some "Fishermen" would leave so much crap behind. My sons and I have picked up at least 25 bags of junk from that catwalk over the years. Even had some drunken idiot cuss at one of my sons for trying to get by him for the fourth time with a bag of trash. Well my boy was 13 and just blew it off. I was at the truck shoving in a bag of trash when he told me. Now I'm not a big guy, but that was it. I put the boys in the truck and I headed back out on the catwalk. Apparently the fool relized he had screwed up because he was saying he was sorry before I even got there. I guess that was good for me cause I would proably have spent the night with Manteo's finest.
Anyway, we are down most weekends and usually have some time to kill, so I will make it a point to stop by and pitch in with the clean up. You are doing a good thing my man.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Wilber--and by the way, I have been tempted more than once to throw some yahoo off that bridge.:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
I haven't fished there in many years, but I notice a lot of trash in many of the piers like that which is a shame. I have picked up many other folks trash. I know what you mean about the Indian commerical. It makes you want to cry. When I visted Texas, I was very impressed by their anti-littering campaign called "Don't mess with Texas". Every state in the union needs campaign like this and what ever happened to those wonderful commercial that taught me as a child and carried into adulthood that littering is a terrible thing.....

I think there should be clear signs at the entrance of places like this. It could be an appeal not to litter or an outright threat of huge fines. I would be very happy to contribute money for a sign like this as well as angling ethics or education such as "respect others", "keep only what you could use", don't litter, "enjoy yourself", etc.

If you have an effort like this, I will contribute.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts