Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Looking for the most practical option for casting low-reel and then moving the reel up for the retrieve (ideally w/ fish attached....)

Coasters, sliding reel seat, tournament butt, other ideas?

Option B is I could just bite the bullet and cast high-reel, but I've practiced in the low config and I like it better for practicing form and for distance.

Option C is "this is stupid and no one does this." Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Current setup is Akios and Ballistic 40-405 (15oz.)

Thanks,

O'Shaugh

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's the option of mounting two plate-style reel seats on the rod in the positions you mentioned, and this allows for the fastest switch. I'm just not sure how well they'd hold up casting 8+bait or larger repeatedly. Maybe a fixed standard screw-lock reel seat in the low position and the plate style higher up for retrieving?

Here's an example of the plate-style seat: Fuji FS6 Plate-Type Reel Seat | mudhole.com

You sort of wrap it on and epoxy the thread like a guide. Here's an example of the switchable setup from a John Holden video:

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.37.12 PM.png

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Find another rod butt and have it built for the other reel position.

Also agree with option c. Moving the reel like that while fishing isn't practical.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have one of the Vega Intimidator rods with the adjustable reel seat and it is great to adjust the reel seat a couple inches up or down. I assure you it doesnt provide the amount of adjustment the OP is looking for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I cast with reel down position. If your reel is close to the end of the rod take the butt cap off. If you have apiece of fishing rod saw off about 16 or 17 inches long plug fit it into the end of the butt 4or 5 inches. Make it long enough so you have a comfortable fighting position. The extra foot or so is not awkward nor does it get in your way. Since its a plug fit you can take it off to cast then put it on. If you don't have a piece of fishing rod, Thrift shops have golf clubs they make great extensions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts