Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting the 12 foot ocean master conventional rated from 3 - 6 oz but wanted to get folks' opinion about the rod first.

I have a a couple of custom surf rods plus some that I have built myself but there are situations such as boating to islands to surf fish where I need a rod that can take a lot of abuse and which I don't mind abusing.

I have a TICA which I like but I do not think the blank can take much abuse..

I am looking at the lighter version of the OM because much of this fishing is going to be in the 3-5 oz range, though on rare occassion, I might have to go up to 8 and bait. .

Would the OM fit that bill and does it perform well?

Thanks,

Tom (aka Duckwump)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Okay, as many know I love my OM's. Have a ten footer and eleven footer both with Penn 6500SS reels. Do most fishing out on AI (Maryland side), both throw 8nbait easy. Many a time last year and this past spring (usually fis September through late April early May), and we ran into alot of n'oeasters with 15 plus winds.

I think OM's are an excellent choice for bang for your bucks. And think the same about Penn reels.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
823 Posts
i have a 12 footer also. love it. does well with 3-5 oz. 6 seems a little mich. just my opinion. other than that it better than sliced bread and sex............. well sliced bread anyways.... stay safe and tight lines

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Lami or Seeker S glass

You might want to consider picking one of these rods up. Dang near indestructable and good casting and great rods for bite detection and fighting a good fish.

You can get a custom seeker or under $ 200. And you can abuse and use it and not worry about it.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
But, OM's are quite a bit cheaper (under $100, and have had mine over three years (so far). Dollar for dollar, still think OM's are a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
740 Posts
In my opinion, the 11'9" Breakaway is gonna be one of the BEST 3-6oz rods there is. Mine likes 5-6oz alot, havnt thrown 4 on it yet, but it'll smoke 6-bait.

Might even throw 8-bait on a smooth lob cast.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. For the record, I have a breakaway 11'9" that I built myself and it is one of my favorite rods. However, I am not going to bang it up trying to transport it in a 15 foot Boston Whaler to a barrier island.

I also have a 12.5 and 11 foot seeker british-syle surf casting rods which I also built. I had originally considered those for this role but they have very long tips may also cause a problem in the boat.

I am interested in the ocean master because it is cheap enought to abuse a little bit and I thought that taping two equal size lenghts together would offer some protection since they would support eachother.

I appreciate the information and am open any additional feedback.

Tom

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
why not just get a tube or something

to protect the ones you already have?
I haven't tried the OM 3-6 ounce. I have used SandCrab's 12' conventional OM, but it is rated higher than 3-6. I think that thing would throw a train.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
TICA is one tuff rod

I just hooked a Drum on the TICA rated for 2-8ozs;I think it can take alot of abuse.If you want a heavy one try the TICA thats rated for 4-12ozes.I have the 12' Oceanmaster rated for 6-12 and I hope to catch a big Red on it and thats not a bad rod.Trust me a TICA ment to be abused.;)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My rods handle fine when I go to the Barrier Island;if you think they won't handle the trip just get a case.I use one for my $275 Loomis:jawdrop:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it were my boat, I would use a case. But it is my father's boat. The boat is quite small (15 foot Boston Whaler) and my father is very set in his ways about how rod should be stored and treated. He is very good about maintaing his gear but he beats the heck out of it when using it.

If I put them in a case, it is going to take up a lot more space and he is going to rag at me endlessly about me taking up that space and babying my rods. He is also rather clumsy because of nerve damage to his foot and has already broken the tip off one of my inshore rods. It is a no-win situation.

I love my TICA. It throws well and I have caught some big fish with it but it is a thin-walled blank. I think it will not last long if it is chipped, even slightly.

My thanks to everyone for the advice. I took a chance and ordered the OM. Tight lines.

Tom

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I don't think you will be dissappointed. Put on a Penn 6500SS or for a cheaper alternative an Okuma (have the AV80 fished fall and spring AI, wind, rain, cold and yes salt and sand, and no problems as of yet). Smooth cast and nice retrieve and I think for under $70. Works well on my 11' OM heaving anything from 3 ounces of lead to eight, and have brought in everythin from a 28" striper, 4' - 5' sandsharks and about a forty pound cownose ray in the surf along with others.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My dad is somwhat regimented too with certin things,but keeping your rod in a case is a good idea.I take my 12'Oceanmaster broomstick and a 13' Diawa Elliminator Spinner to the Barrier Islands in my dads Carolina Skiff underneath the deck with out a case.Then when we get to Quinby I put them in the rodholders.I can't wait to go down to Quinby.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My father took an old trashed Boston Whaler hull and rebuilt it. It is a real nice piece of work. He put in one set of railings on the left side which he can use to hold while he steps around the console which is on the right. He needs the railing to hold on to on account of his right foot which is nerve damaged. We have been tying (sic) the rods onto that railing with bunji cords but there is not a lot of room for something like a rod case which would impinge on the other rods.

Anyway, I am happy that I ordered the OM rod and will report back on my impressions of it. Thanks again for the help.

Tom

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Got mine wholesale, but have seen the Okuma for under $50 in bait and tackle shops, my $70 was juxt conservative as I paid about $100 for my Penn. But I do stand corrected. Rather go high than low.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts