Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Getting set for a week long trip to Hunting island in August,I am looking for a general purpose rig to use on the beach( mostly throwing lures,but would like to try some bait fishing) then and whenever I can escape from Michigan in the future ;) I have narrowed down the rod to either the Tica 9ft, 1/2 - 3 oz., medium action and the Tica 9ft,2-6oz.,medium heavy action. I just can't decide which rod! also,the spinning reel I am looking at is the Daiwa laguna,either the 4000(line capacity: 14lb./210 ,wt. 14 oz.)or 4500(line capacity: 14lb./290 ,wt. 21 oz.) model. Any thoughts would be appreciated,I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to freshwater fishing but, don't have a ton of experience when it comes to saltwater( got "hooked" on blues last summer in Cape Cod). I have enjoyed my time lurking here the last couple of weeks,Steve TIA

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Surf fishing Assateague Island, we general use a Carolina rig. Usually trow anywhere from 4 to 8n'bait. I'll be down at Fripp (just a couple islands out from Hunting) from August 10 - 16, and am looking forward to some fishing down souyh, not to metion some "Frogmore Stew".

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the 9ft tica thats rated for 1/2 to 3oz. I have a diawa laguna 4000 on it. That rod is made for throwing metal and large plugs in the surf. If you want to throw lures that would be the rod to get. I can throw a 2 oz sting silver over 150 yards! Your best bet may be to get 2 rods. So you can spike fish waiting for the big gun and throw some metal to them blues and stripers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts