Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing!!!!!!!

I picked one up yesterday and spooled it with 17# tritanium (thanks Nserch for recommending). For now I put it on my 10' tuff tip till I buy a heaver. The rod is rated to 4oz. I went to the football field today and threw 4 oz 7 times. No backlash and hit a personal best...92 yds. awesome. it's about 10 degrees out so 7 casts was all I could stand.

Look out 100 yds, I have ya in a week.

todd

·
Registered
273 Posts
Todd
That is a great fishing reel you have. I use a slosh 20 and a 30 for strippers and such. Both work great and are easy to care for.
You should get many good years service from your reel. Goodluck on that 100 yards and more.
Bob S

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cold temps?

How much does the cold weather affect the speed of the spool on the slosh's? it is just out of the box and I was throwing mid 80's to low 90's, with no overrun. the guy at the tackle shop even set the spool adj for me. it was about 17 degrees with the wind chill, 20 without.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I find that the biggest problem affecting my fishing cast when it's cold is that the thicker lines gets stiff and doesn't come off the reel very well.
I use a thinner oil all year and have had very little trouble maintaining good distance with my fishing cast as far as my reels are concerned. Hand-warmers and a towel over your reel can help in the cold also. Leaving a reel over-night in a truck during this cold weather is a definate performance killer so avoid that. You said it was 20 degrees when you set the reel up? If true and the distances you are casting are at or near your average let things stay as they are unless you have that urge to try other things. You can always go back to the original set up. Charlie P. and I have been casting with tournament gear in some pretty cold temps. lately and I've seen only improvement in distance so the cold effect on my tournament gear is minimal.
Goodluck Hope this was some help.
Bob S

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies Bob. :D

I don't think i will be changing anything anytime soon.

todd

btw, it was so cold i was only able to cast, set the rod down, and stuff my hands in my pockets while I walked it out. after doing that about 7 time, I could move my fingers anymore.:eek:

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
You, got more [email protected] than me.......stayed in the warmth and farted around with some tackle maintenance.

Gimme a ring when it warms up a tad......wouldn't mind seeing how far my new OM set up will cast with 8 to 10 oz's.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hey bassn let me know when ya gonna go out on a weekend. Would like to get some practice. Are th yards marked off? If not I got a measuring wheel. Let ya throw my OM so ya can see how it feels. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The field is still marked, well, kinda. I was still able to see the lines as I walked across them. Now with the snow, I hope they will still be there. After Sundays practice, I am waiting till it gets back into the 40's or better. I will let you know. I know Nserch is probably going to come too. It is a nice feild. But for you all that throw over 100+, there is a track around it then a perimeter fence. I may have to find a little larger field. There is a baseball diamond next to it, but they have 3 different 20 yard piles of new sand they are putting down right in the middle of the infield. They will be in the way. I will let you know cdog, will be nice to catch up.

btw- my baby boy turns ONE this wed, jan 28

:D :D :D :D :D

todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts