Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just couldn't resist it, 11' OM rated to 10 ounces under $80? Heck now I just need another sand spike (jusy kidding) and I'll be alright. Guess I'll be trying it out on Thursday at AI, hopefully, Kool Ice has fresh bunker by then.

Did go cheaper on the reel though, took an Okuma Avenger off one of my older rods and will use it on the new OM. Heck, the same reel works on my 10' rated to 8 ounces, so guess now I have a pair of OM rods with Okuma reels. :cool:

Does life get better?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Schweeet! Nice!

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Nice. I'm getting from several surf guys that Okuma is making a comeback. Several years ago, their gear had a habit of dying in heavy saltwater conditions but I'm hearing that they're really setting the standard these days.

Kool Ice had nice bunker when we swung by on Saturday. Big, fresh, and chunky. We mostly ended up using the tail sections, though, since the filets tend to wash off. The heads, well, the mutt got to most of them. :p

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
shaggy said:
...Does life get better?
Fresh bunker would put the icing on the cake!

Enjoy the surf! Might want to bring the lure rod too - never know what is in the wash at this time of year...

Sandcrab

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where else, Bass Pro Shop Arundel Mills (everyone seemed to be talking about it a while back so..). Don't get over the Bay Bridge much, but happened over it and when finished business on the western shore, I figured I'd stop byt a check it out. Place is awesome. But, somehow I managed to walk out with one rod and some 8/0 circle hooks. About a hundred bucks, but I had to make sure I behaved, I only wanted to get one rod closer, not have her file for one as soon as I got home.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SF,

My first Okuma is geting into it's third AI season, and considering the salt, the sand and some times the rain, I have had no problems with it (hope I didn't jinx the thing), and the second one, well it's just a baby, bought it for the the beginning of this new fall/winter/spring season, and used once (Friday/Saturday).

All I do when finished is rinse off the rods and reels at the showers at AI (as long as they are working), get home and then real good rinse in the shower and air dry. If needed oil (take the spool offf check for sand ect) nothing major.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Okuma Gear

I lke my 8' Okuma Solaris paired with the Coronado Bait Feeder..the only problem..I have only caught Skates and Sharks with it so far this year..Oh well there is still some time left:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Bunkers

Never used Bunker's for bait before. Are you buying the whole fish at Kool Ice or is already cut up? Do you us it just like any other fish for cut bait? How much does Kool Ice charge for bunker and what are their hours?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kool Ice - Trucks usually (and I stress usually) arrive between 9 am and noon with the fresh bunker (alwives to some). Believe they open around 8am.

Fresh or frozen flat (50 pound) $12. Think large bag, about ten fish is around $7.00.

Buy whole fish, use steaks and heads (usually heads last longer occupy the crabs), but shark like em and the occassion striper or drum (no drum for me yet, guessin' next year). Steaks will get you blue, striper, the elusive red drum (once again at least for me) sharks, skate and as in last weekend ling cod. For steaks, I like about 1 1/2" wide on a 7/0 or 8/0 hook.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Bunker/Alewives

OK.

Then I been using them, I have gotten Alewives at Island Bait Shop the 2 weekend I have gone to the Tank.

They have small and large bags. 3 fish in the small bag for I think less that $3. and large bag about 10 fish for around $7 I believe.

The ones I bought last Saturday did look very fresh, their eyes were sunken into their heads. I remember hearing something on the local news about buying fresh fish and ckecking the eyes.

Hopefully my memory isn't failing me, anybody else hear this.

Thanks for your reply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts