Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The days have been slow here. It's too cold to catch the river smallmouth, and my wife tells me that we've spent too much on our kids for Christmas (they all make more $ than we do) so we can't make our bi-monthly treks to the beach this month. It snowed here this weekend and I went to shovel my mother-in-law's driveway. While thawing out after shoveling, I was talking with my mother-in law and the talk turned to fishing. She began telling me that the dentist who used to live in her house was quite a fisherman and his tackle was still in the attic where he left it more than 35 years ago. Then she told me that I could have it! I went to the attic and pulled out a large saltwater box that is packed with old wooden lures, metal spoons, bucktails and lots of other stuff. The smaller freshwater box is equally stocked. There are flies from LL Bean that are still in the packages (very old). There's a Pequea wooden salt rod with a very old Penn reel on it, an old fly rod and an interstate baitcasting reel that is still in the box. I also found a receipt from an airline in Ontario for taking a party into a fishing camp in the Canadian woods. It's dated 1954 and the price was $40.04. This is cool stuff, and it's pretty interesting to go through it. This guy bought nice stuff back then. I tought some of you might find it interesting.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice catch,

Most treasures are passed down from gen to gen. Even though not really passed down, Attics are a great place to look for "gold". check the old links for old lures, there are some articles about old wooden lures adn the money they may be worth. Enjoy.

todd

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Bassn is right the prices that some of those wooden lures go for can be amazing.
Sorry about the trip cancellation.
Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Zopilote,

Old treasures are fun to come across whether it be handed down or found in the attic. I am a fly fisherman and would love to come accoss something like that. I am sure that you can find out about each of the lures with a little research at your local library and the web. some of them might even worth some money to ya. Congrats on the luck on being handed such a treasure!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Why doesn't this stuff EVER happen to ME !!!

I love Old Tackle. Especially Old Saltwater Tackle.

What a way to wile away a snowy day.

Just sit back with that old "Meat Stick" in your hands and think about where it's been and what it's done.

AAAHHHHHHHH..................

Thanks Santa.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've really enjoyed this stuff. I teach high school students, and we've recently talked about archaeologists and how they do their work. I brought those tackle boxes into the classroom and we pulled all the tackle out piece by piece. We took came up with a lot of ideas about what this fisherman was like. It was way cool! These tackle boxes look like a lifetime of fishing trips. There were lots of details about the owner that we uncovered...he smoked a pipe while he fished..he ate brownies....he enjoyed a beer or two...he bought good quality tackle, and he made his own bucktails. His name was Dr. Brown. He was a dentist in Charlottesville. I think I'll try for a fat striped bass in one of his bucktails. One more fishing trip for the doctor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts