Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

I was walking the Thursday morning Cattle Sale, it's a flea market really, and found a pristine 9' honey colored MH St. Croix Spinning rod for ten bucks. It is in like new condition and could not pass up such a neat find. This rod is extremely light weight. it is rated for 3/4 to 3 ounces. It is a 12SW 90MH 9'. This thing really has not been fished as the cork handle is untouched and there is no corrosion on any eyes and the seat is not scratched at all.

My questions are:

1. I like to rebuild older Mitchell spinners and have a few 300's, 302's, and 306's as well as their 4xx counter parts. I am thinking of pairing this rod with a 302 that has the manual pick up, crosswind cam and other upgrades to sling lures if I ever get to the coast. Old school fishing. Ya'll think the 306 (medium) sized is best?

2. Should I let a competent rod builder replace the guides, they are the solid metal style, with some of the newer style?

I use mono and doubt I will ever use braid. I hardly ever get to fish anymore but I really think this rod deserves to come out of retirement.

Thank you for your opinions. I will take a few pictures of it later and post if there is any interest.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Awsome score!! A 302 on her sounds like a sweet rig to me. Curious too see what other more knowledgeable guys have to say :popcorn:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great find!

I'd try the 306 or 406; I have a 402 and it's larger than I would put on a 9 footer for up to 3 oz.

Sounds like that would make a real nice plugging stick!

Tight lines.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ten bucks well spent! I would leave guides as are. Try the 306 and the 302 - go with what you like best. If I had to pick between the two, I would go with the 306. Good luck- glenn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts