Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
So I am new to the long casting bug, but it has bit me hard. I had a Calypso 7' (don't laugh) and a penn 305 conventional reel. I could cast it about 225 feet with four ounces. I found a new rod by Okuma called Celilo. It comes in 11', holds 4 to 16 ounces of wieght and is a conventional casting rod. The rod is well under $100 and looks great.

Has anyone tried these rods out yet? Are there know problems with the tip being too soft (like an Ugly Stick). I figure that if the Solaris is really that good then why would they skimp on a rod designed for Sturgeon? Any suggetsions would be great.. Thanks All.

Here is the a link to the rod

http://www.okumafishing.com/products/rods/celilo/celilo_series.htm

And the cost?

http://www.leehosports.com/okcelceccasr.html

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a 12 foot Solaris that I really like. I am planning on buying another one. In the right hands, it can throw 5 oz 500 feet, have seen it done.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am taking it out today to see how it casts. I will let you know how it does, and thanks for the input about the solaris rods. I have definately heard really good things about them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We Tried the Celilo

Ok fellas,
for all that may be interested. I took out my new Okuma Celilo for some casting practice yesterday. I was getting a max distance of about 360 Feet. The rod is an 11' and I was throwing 6 ounces of weight. The rod tip bends a bit, but I would think that would be normal with 6 ounces! :eek:

So, should I be getting alot more distance?

If so, is it the rod or my technique? (or both? most likely right?)

What type of cast is the easiest to use while fishing that rewards over 400 ft?

The rod is meant to handle 4 - 16 ounces and I feel that it loads well. Any assistance would be great. Thanks guys,
- Surfman

·
Registered
681 Posts
curious

Why are you throwing 6oz, I'm just curious? If that rod can handle 16 oz it has to be a beast. I have seen a person using the brighton, cast a 5 oz lead 500 feet. They were using the Okuma Solaris rod. I think, before anyone could accurately answer your question they would have to observe you casting.
Just because the tip bends, doesn't mean that you are properly loading the rod. Your objective is, to load the entire rod not just the tip. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks of the response,
You may absolutely correct. It does say lure weight 4-16 Oz, but I was surprized at how much the tip moves with only 6. I expected it to be stiffer. I figure it is a technique problem more than anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts