Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pricing both the Okuma 12' Solaris Rod and the Tica 12' rod. Okuma $70, Tica $109. The Shimano Baitrunner 6500B $119, Okuma New EB-80 $81. Does anyone have any insight on which of these would be the best combination. Money is not the issue I want quality. :confused: ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shorebird, that seems to be the opinion of most. I do have one other question I was told that the Tica Rod was a little stiffer than the Okuma. Do you know if this is a problem when night fishing and being able to see the strikes? :cool: :p

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Big T,

Just put on a cyalume light on your tip and you will be good to go...

·
Registered
270 Posts
The local tackle shop has been trying hard to sell me an Okuma Epixor and I think they'e going to win the battle. What I'm being told and reading is that it's a very smooth reel and the baitfeed works fabulously.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I have both Tica UEHA 11' and Okuma Solaris 12' spinning rods. I say spend the extra couple bucks and get the Tica. Much better. Okuma rod was disappointing with its shady assembly of the cork grip. I love my Tica.

I also have Okuma EB65 but haven't tried out the reel yet. It seems real nice and from what I heard, it is nice. I been using Okuma AV65 and it is a smoothy...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, to all that replied. But from the way it looks I will be going with the Okuma EB-80, and the Tica 12'. I will be getting them this weekend along with a spool of 50lb Power Pro Hi Vis Yellow 1500 yds. ;) :cool: :p

M

·
0 Posts
Big T, The Shimano Baitrunner 6500B is the better reel, I have an Okuma reel that broke within a year, the manufacturer did a half a.. job and sent it back to me. I did not find out until the warranty ran out, I had it in the box after the repair was done. I have seen two new Okuma come apart this year while fishing, if you buy the Okuma I hope you have better luck than I did, as for the rods mentioned I would buy the rod that's rated to throw the heavier weight, you might be fishing places where six ounces barely holds.
P.S. Just a novice opinion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mcrea,
I found that the Okuma 12 footer holds 4-8oz, and the Tica holds 4-10oz. I still am interested in the flexibilty of these two poles. Any Insight out there?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Okuma is more flexible than Tica. Tica is stiffer but has fast action. Regarding quality and catching fish, I would stick to Tica.

Mcrea, I didn't know about the Okuma reels... hmmm... maybe its a bad investment... :( I guess time will tell...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jangwuah, where are you in fairfax I use to live in Centreville for about 4 years before I moved Fredericksburg. I do a lot of fishing in both MD and VA considering I am from Newport News. Maybe we can get together and to some fishing sometimes. :cool:

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Sure... We can meet up and fish. I haven't fish VA side of the bay so it would be interesting to see how well I can do. I will be going to westmoreland state park next weekend to camp with couple of my buddies. Hopefully we'll get some fishing in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have two 6500's and they work great. In the past I used to loan them out and they would come back looking like they were left in the sand overnight. All I do all summer is rinse them off and cleam them up well when I put them away for the winter. I haven't tried the okuma reel but these 6500s aren't new and they haven't let me down.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Big T,

If you use the baitrunner feature on your EB-80, bite detection is handled by the reel and not the rod. I destroyed two guides on my 12' Tica the very first day. I've replaced them with Fuji guides. After a few 600+ feet casts, the inserts popped out of the guides. This may not be a problem for shorter casts. I just purchased two Okuma 12' rods and will take them for a test drive over the weekend. They feel just like my Ocean Master lights, so I expect to love them. I mainly fish the bay so I prefer a softer rod over a stiff rod. I use 5oz grip sinkers when I need a little extra holding power. I prefer technology over heavier weights. I reserve my Tica for fish over 20 pounds. I spoke with Mark Edwards about his EB-80. He has been fishing with it for 3 months. So far, it has served him well. I've had 3 Baitrunners for three years and I just ordered 2 EB-65's today. By the end of the season, I'll sure know how I feel about both. I hope this helps.

PS: Mark Edwards set a new US spinning reel distance record with a cast of 758 feet in mid-May.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have the Tica 12', and it is stiff, but it is a fast action rod, and you can feel every thing that touches it. The difference is, I have the conventional, and have the Diawa X SHV 30 and I want to tell you it is one sweet outfit. It fits my needs to a T, don"t worry about the stiffness,, it is a great rod for the money

·
Registered
389 Posts
Got the 12' Okuma Solaris,Dawia Jupiter Z 5000,15lb yozuri,Mono shockleader and it will send 6oz to Tahiti.LOL Nah but I'm enjoying this setup right now and six seems like the sweet spot.It will also toss some 2 to 3oz spoons and bucktails a darn good distance. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Big T,

I have both 12' Tica spinning rods. The cork grip is one model and foam grips is another model. Both are rated 4-10 oz. Cork grip is $104.00 and foam grip is $64.00 at http://www.digitaldagger.com/ . One other difference between the two models is the cork is graphite, XH fast action and the foam is XH mod-fast action. The cork model is a "hair" lighter and slimmer than the foam version. I haven't had a chance to throw the "foamy" yet between work and the weather. The "corky" has a Daiwa XT5500 on it and sends my 8oz practice weight out to a measured 120yds. My 5 and 6oz bottom rigs cover 140yds with 20lb mono. No where near the LongRanger's distances, but I'm very pleased with the Tica's performance. ;)

Macman

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Longranger,
I know you cast it really far, but I am trying to figure out what would break your guides. Why would your guides break? Is there that much pressure against the guides during a cast? I always thought the rod took the brunt of the cast.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Husky,

I had the guides come out of a new Fenwick graphite 7' rod that I bought years ago for fishing for barracuda. I ended up sending it back to the factory.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi HuskyMd,
If the guides are hit by a shock leader knot or loop during a power cast, inferior guides will have problems. I forgot to mention that I broke the guides while casting with a spinning reel. I've never have guide problems with a baitcaster reel attached to a rod. I mainly use spinning reels for fishing. It is probably safe to say that 99% of people can expect years of service from the Tica rods with no problems.

Big T and others,
I had a chance to try the Okumas last night and I like them. I have not tried them on the field so I can only guess at distances which are secondary to most fishing conditions. This is just my 2 cents, but I'd place the Okuma between the Ocean Master lite and the Tica. It has a comfortable load and the sinker had lots of speed on the release. I use a simple overhead cast for fishing with most cast falling between 350-500 feet. Yerterday I fished with a pair of Baitrunner 4500’s, 2 Okumas, and 5oz bank sinkers. I’m sure that a few casts were over 500 feet with double rigs and very small baits (bloodworms and a ¾” piece of shrimp). I view the Okuma as an all purpose surf rod suitable for anything that I’d catch in the Chesapeake Bay. At under $80 and with Fuji guides, it is hard to beat the value. If you’d like to give all three a try before you buy, give me call and I will arrange to meet up with you. Bring your favorite reels and sinkers. A Saturday or Sunday morning at Kenilsworth Park is best for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts