Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning to buy a surf rod ..but having a hard time deciding on which brand..i think for my budget i have narrowed it down to the okuma solaris 12' or the tica ueha735002c 11.6'....the daiwa sealine series and the shakepeare unglystik rods were also in consideration...does anyone know which is lighter and better for long casts?..im gonna order online and havent actually seen either models..
also..i have an older daiwa 4000c (silver series) spinning reel..im wondering if this reel is big enough for a 12' rod?..will the spool hold enough line?...if anyone can give a beginner surf caster some advise pls do so..thx.....:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Okuma and Tica

Ok so I would consider only the Okuma and the Tica. I have a 10 ft Tica and recently bought my best friend a 10ft Okuma Solaris for his B-Day. (Happy B-Day again Bro. [WtrDog]) :D So, What have we noticed.....

Tica has all guides on the top peice of rod
Okuma has bigger diameter rod guides
Both 10' and perrrrttttyyyy!
Tica handles 10-30 lbs line and 2-8 oz
Okuma handles 20-40 lbs line and 3-8 oz

Both of us casting with 4oz weight (can use more if we want) can easily cast 250-300 ft. No one rod cast further than the other (so far). They are both really beautiful rods and are very close in comparison. DO NOT BUY THE UGLY STICK! The tips are a bit soft for advanced long distance casting. Choose between the Tica and the Okuma....... And then upgrade your reel to an Okuma Epirior Bait Runner.. eeeeewwwww thats nice
- Surfman

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Okuma Solaris

I have an 8'Okuma Solaris that I use with an Okuma Coronado Baitfeeder..have rigged with 15# test ..love the rod..works well in both inlets and small surf..I also have 12' Okuma o the rack for when the surf gets bigger..love the cork tape handles..think you get the same type of handle with the Tica...Tight Lines To All! Murphman:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx for the replies so far :) ..SurfMan..did you find the weight of both the tica and okuma 10' rods to be around the same?.

·
Registered
206 Posts
from what i can tell the two rods are almost identical, weight included. I have to completely agree with SurfMan, They are both light, and have a good feel, and those cork handles are definatley nice. I think you'd be set either way, I've only got to cast the rod, but maybe this weekend it'll get wet and bent. thanks again SurfMan.

·
Registered
64 Posts
tica or okuma

I have two tica's 9' and 12' and an ugly stik all for surfcasting. I will say, without a doubt, forget the Ugly Stik (if you decide to go with it anyway I can give you a deal on a barely used one).

I have noticed something about my 12' tica that may be a tiebreaker with the okuma. If you look down the guides of my 12' tica the guides do not form anything near an ideal cone (I never checked my 9' stick). The misalignment is in the up and down direction (NOT like they are placed wrong but rather like they are the wrong height, can't figure out why you would make a set of guides this way) I ordered from digitaldagger and they tell me all the 12' tica are like that.

If possible make sure you hold the rod in your hand before buying. Check that the guides form a cone, that the spine of the rod is oriented right, that your reel balances well, and that the overall weight is OK. Even a beginner can compare these things to be sure they are getting the best for their dollar.

In favor of the tica rods, I would say the guides are my only complaint and I wouldn't know if the misalignment substantially effects my casting distance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Offshore angler (Bass Pro Shops) Oceanmaster surf combo.

Can't go wrong!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ocean Master Surf Spinning Reel

Does anyone know if the Ocean Master Surf Spinning Reel is anything like a Daiwa Emblem? I have never heard of anyone that has tried one out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
interesting info. kelsch..

well..i think im gonna go with the okuma solaris 12'..i like the slightly bigger guides..it can handle 3oz to 8oz ..that seems to be just right for tossing a 5oz..and 6oz weight during low tide..im from the west coast and im targeting salmon..the river channel is quite long and casting it way out there...well..ive always wanted to do that..ive seen some people with massive stiff rods targeting sturgeon here..but that doesnt seem so practical for me..and wanted something more inbetween..most the sturgeon ive seen caught werent so big anyways,,and quite rare to catch..i just plan to give it a good battle if ever i get that fast jolting motion on the rod tip..sturgeon bites are so recognizable.
ive talked to alot of people about the two rods,,and seems like there both good solid performers..and very well priced..my spool can hold 200 yrds of 20lbs test,,maybe ill go down a notch to 17lbs test..and use copolymer line which is thinner diameter and very strong...i think that should be enough line on the spool..but im still debating that issue...guess ill find out soon enough :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sorry for the late response...

PierBoy,
To be honest with you , I think that I would go for the Solaris as well. I like the bigger guides. The 2 rods wiegh almost identically.

I like the idea of going to a thinner diameter line.... 200 yds just is cutting it too close. You will easily be able to throw 5oz to 150 yds with some practice. And 50 yards left for a big fish to run just is not enough. The co-polymer is a good idea, Power Pro is good also, but I have found it not to be as abraision resistant as they advertise. 30lb power pro with 6# diameter, you gotta love that....... Good luck and TightLines PierBoy.

WtrDog, ready for PLO Sat night?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Okuma, Tica, Ocean Master and Tsunami are almost the same rods. A few subtle differences. The Tsunami is an awsome rod and the blank is a tad diff looking.I have a new okuma 10 foot casting model on the way. They are not out on the market yet but I have a friend that works at Okuma.Looking farword to trying it out. I have a 12 foot Tsunami in a casting model 6 to 10 oz wt rating.I think I can chunk bricks with it.
Go for the Okuma or the Tsunami.
Okuma FEEL THE POWER
Tsunami AWSOME POWER
LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Game,
I beg to differ. Saying that the Okuma, Tica, Ocean Master, and Tsunami are almost the same rods is like saying a poodle and a wolf are almost the same except for a few subtle differences. While this may be true, it is not necessarily accurate. I own two Ticas, two of the Ocean Masters, one Okuma, and one Tsunami. Ocean Masters are great for 8nbait in the Outer Banks whereas I find the Tica, Tsunami, and the Okuma are more suited for 5nbait that I use most often on the Chesapeake Bay. All of the these rods are graphite composites but without manufacturers info no one knows the exact proportion of graphite to fiberglass. Ocean Masters and Okumas use Fuji guides whereas the Tsunami and the Tica use an unknown brand. While they are all similar in price, they are not the same type of rod. One more thing. I had problems with the inserts popping out of the guides on the Tica so I had them replaced with Fujis. Another thing to keep in mind is that the lure rating as to how many ounces these rods can cast is usually overstated. An optimum lure weight may be 1-2 ozs below the manufacturer's recommendation. JMHO.:) :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well that is what this message board is for.Get all those opinions flowing.I have tried all 4 rods a little.The Ocean Master feels a little lighter.The Okuma seems to have a little more flex over the entire rod. The Tica and I think OM, if memory serves me right, comes apart in a different place and the tsunami feels like a light broom handle.I just wish I had one of each.The man i bought my tsunami from says his sorce told him they all come from the same place along with some of the blanks of the USA high dollar brands.Who knows? for sure.When My Okuma gets here I will realy try it out and see how it compares.Although it is shorter and a lighter action.
I dont know what i am going to do with all this surf fishing stuff when I move back to east Texas.

·
Registered
389 Posts
THEGAME, you could maybe put it up for sale here if you don't plan on using it all again. I'm sure we could help you find a nice new cozy home for all that surf gear. JMO. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ive still got almost another 2 years down here.My other home is 630 miles from here. I might get to surf fish 1 time a year from up there.There is no telling how much more stuff i will accumilate between now and then.I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well,
i talked to a man yesterday who is a Tsinami dealer.Among a few other brands. He told me that Tica factory makes many of the brands we have been discussing here.They make them to the specs of the buyer.He says that if the rod says it is made from Graphite , it is mostley graphite. He says if it says graghite composite , it could be as little as 1% graphite and could be mixed with worm dirt for all we know.
Graphite rods are made with graphite material wraped around a mandrel, mixed with an amount of resin to rold all this togather, then baked.
As far as I know there is no such a thing as a 100% graphite rod. Even though some say that on them.There would be nothing to hold all the fibers together.It would be like fishing with pencil lead.The cross hatch pattern seen on some rods is a fiber cloth wraped around the bland and is called snake belly.Like a tsunami. This can be made of different materials.
Just a little FYI

·
Registered
290 Posts
No one has mentioned St Croix, breakaway, All star or other high priced brands. What is the feeling are they just over priced or are they worth the investment?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts