Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal there. Good, not good. Crowded, not crowded? It so far away for me. Don't feed me no lines!!! Get it, lines?? LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh, people were being sarcastic about the Tank in their thread :).

It's actually MUCH better than pretty much all the other Chesapeake piers and bridges...mainly because of the lack of crowding.

In terms of total length of pier on both sides, (It's a bridge that has been cut in half) I think it's close to a MILE.

I literally have never fished the Tank with anyone else within 50 feet of me. Routinely in the fall on a weeknight I'll be one of 3 people there.

On a summer weekend I'm sure there are a lot more (I live 1/2 hour away so I only fish weeknights) but I doubt you'd ever have to be fishing within 20 feet of someone else. You can bring as many rods as you want.

It's totally different from the short shallow-water piers of the Western Shore, and Matapeake. There's NO nead for surf rods or giant 15' heavers. Most of the fish are right next to the bridge.

There's also no crime or fights at all. I fish the Cambridge side and see girls in their 20s jogging on the bridge at night alone all the time; if it wasn't safe you wouldn't see them.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Yea, I was just putting a little humor on the Tank considering the attmosphere of the forum last week. The Tanks in my opinion is the best land (pier) based fishing on the Chesapeake. In five years I've yet to catch a skunk, you can always catch something. Right now the croaker fishing is pretty hot as long as you fish the outgoing tide. Once the croaker action starts to die off you can expect to catch blues followed closely by trout. For about a three week period it will be a mixture of blues and trout. During the summer the action slows down to white perch, spot, and catfish with skates and rays mixed in. Also at this time it's pretty good crabbing. As fall approaches and the water cools down the rock move in and stay well into November. This is when the action really heats up - live lining spot for rock, sometimes hugh rock up to 40". So if you want to catch fish drive extra distance and fish the Tank. You'll be hooked while you're hooking fish.

Catman.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was a great place, but I also thought I had read that it was wall to wall people once. That is what I was really wondering about. How could something so big get so crowded. Must have been more yankin' of my line! Maybe we will have to take the longer drive for a weekend of fishing sometime there.
Tight Lines
DG

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Goddess...The only crowds are at the 1st quarter of the bridge. The Talbot side of the bridge is about a mile from the beginning to the channel where the old draw span used to be. I usually fish about 2 to 3 light poles from the end. It's a long walk so you really some kind of cart to carry your gear.

Catman.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just to add more support. The tank is a great place to fish. The previous thread with all of the jokes was hilarious! The Tank is about the only place where you can relax without worrying about the idiots AND catch fish. "Knock on wood"- I have never been skunked at the Tank and I am there a lot. The bridge is so huge that it cannot be overcrowded. The perfect pace for a P&S get together. In case you were wondering Goddess... The comment made earlier about people sharing their bait and netting your fish for you there is very accurate. People are very nice there- Must be something in the water ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all,

I've read alot about the Tank, and from all accounts, it sound like a place that I'd like to try. That said, it's now time for me to ask a stupid question: what and where is the tank? (short for Choptank?). Also, wher is the best location to fish it? - I'm coming from the Frederick area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Rock

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
OK, I think I am going to join you guys. If I do, Sandcrab knows me, but I'll bring a red wagon and a couple of rods.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Going someplace tonight, might meet you folks over there. Husky knows me but I'll have a Radio Flyer piercart & blue chairs. What time is everyone going to show up?

The first one of these I catch I'm headin back to NB....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: That is a pretty good imagery job though except the little part on the bottom where you can see the hook through its mouth just like the top part.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Ok so it looks like I might make it out there tonight also. I know what sandcrab looks like (old and uses walker with trailer hitch to tow his Surfcart Sr) :p but not many others so hope to see you there. :)

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
And no Old Salt and Jeffster I won't bring 15 poles out there so don't worry! Just 3 a piece for me and my partners. :p :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Jason,

My surf cart has probably saved my dumb butt from a hernia with all the crap I bring fishing! Piers ain't nuthin' - Wait until you see me loaded for the surf!

Gotta get one of those small BBQ grills for cooking up breakfast on the beach though...

Looks like the gang is going to be there. Don't want my "Virgin Choptank Butt" showing any one up - right? You guys are going to show me how to fish the Tank - Right? We'll see...

Might even try live-lining too..I think you guys have it down to a science now. ;)

Maybe a fishing pool would help everyone fish a little harder....Me - I'll be chilling out like a big dog! ;-)

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I am in on the pool. You will definitely see me livelining especially after triggers report. See ya there!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
WOW!Look like one of those Ft Armisted/Blue Plans Sewege treatment plant fish.I caught one of those up at Ft Armisted on Peeler Crab. :D You won't see those down there.They like polluted water. :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts