Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see it mentioned on the northern boards........... what is a TOG?
i may know it by another name.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont have those around here, at least not to my knowledge. too far south for em maybe?

·
Registered
194 Posts
TOP,

I know for a fact that they are at least south as Virginia.
I'm not sure about the carolinas.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i fish primarily southern n carolina coast. never heard mention of the name

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have seen them caught offshore in NC but rarely inshore. Some charters that go bottom fishing for seabass and triggerfish may catch them sometimes.
-Anthony

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys......... not much of offshore fisherman......:barf: :barf:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
They're actually a species of wrasse. They chow on clams, crabs and other crustaceans.

They're really a coldwater species, so I wouldn't expect to see them too far south, although they're not out of the question in NC during the winter.

They're tasty critters, but not too common inshore. You usually find them around wrecks, reefs, jetties and rockpiles. In fact, when I was a kid I used to sneak out onto the jetty near Rudee Inlet in Va. (they don't allow fishing on the jetty) with sandfleas and dangle them in the rocks to catch little ones. :D Man, I lost a buttload of tackle.

·
Registered
911 Posts
And I found a ...

Picture of a tripple tail,, a few that I seen caught of Ocean Crest pier years ago when I fished there,,,,,, though "never" seen none up past the cape fear river towards carolina beach...,, heres the link the ugly looking thing on the left??????

http://www.pro-fish.com/fish3.htm

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Depending on what part of the north your in they are called Tog or Blackfish and in recent years people are finding out that the meat is very good which is why there are catch limits and seasons for them and they are also fun to catch they hang around rocks and if you hook a big one and he gets in the rocks you have a battle. My father was the fisrt person to tell me that your not in a good Blackfish(Tog) spot unless your losing tackle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts