Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend Aug. 23rd is North Beachs Big Bayfest weekend. I'll be in the area all week fishing and doing PR on the Boycott. We need a push on the petitions to show them we have not forgot.

Even if you sent a petition before, please send them another one before this weekend. Make a point to them it's Bayfest weekend. We need to hit them hard for their Bayfest!. Thanks, Hat80

Go to the Boycott North Beach link below to get to the petition:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Greetings Hat80!

Add me to the list of petitioners -- you should be receiving my cc:copy. Great effort on your part. I'll even send a photocopy of my MD tidal fishing license when I get back to let them know I was "there" and passed on North Beach!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Petition filed.

I also cc'd the local Chamber of Commerce.

[email protected]

I doubt that the Town Council is communicating our displeasure with their action, to the local merchants.

Rather than count on the news media to spread the message, I think direct communication with the affected businesses is in order.

The Mayor doesn't have to answer to me, a guy from another state.

He does have to answer to the local business people.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Alright appreciate everyone that has sent one. Hat is gonna be at breezy point this whole week to be down there to show his support for the NB Boycott. He asked me to keep everybody up on sending in those petitions. Come on guys the more the merrier! Lets keep the mayor swamped!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just sent mine in

IM still with you on this Hat. I CC'd you on this one. Here is something that I thought I should share with you guys. My wifes girlfriend invited us to the festival in NB because one of her longtime friends lives down there. I told them we would not be attending because we have a boycott in progress and im supporting it 110%. MY wife said she is happy im standing up for something I believe in. She explained to her girlfriend that we would not be attending. My wife said that if im supporting it then she is also..........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Yeah MC, good for you and your wife. It helps when you have a significant other that stands behind you. Keep sending em folks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hat- here'tis:

To: the Calvert Chamber of Commerce
Greetings,

I thought you might be interested to know that there are quite a few Chesapeake Bay fishermen very upset with the mayor and town of North Beach. The essence of it is that the town closed the pier to nighttime fishing and some people with annual passes (and others) are upset about what they think is an infringement on their pier pass contractual rights. The efforts to meet in the middle failed which resulted in the NB Town Council limiting access to the pier and the fishermen boycotting the town.

I've followed this since it began and I think the town is making a shortsighted mistake with long-term consequences. Business is business and the fishermen and their families represent income and a very positive marketing force. To alienate them is to cause unnecessary economic hardships on your members. These guys who are not from the adjacent counties all come from fairly long distances to fish Calvert County waters and spend their dollars in doing so. They buy gas, eat meals, purchase bait and tackle, buy ice and Sunday papers, and in general they do what good Maryland and Virginia tourists do - make your Chamber members a little better off.

I was privileged to Chair the Queen Anne's County Waterman's Heritage Festival 2003 on Kent Island. We worked hard and it was a large team effort and we netted a significant management fee for the Chamber, passed on a larger amount ($9,500 in cash prizes and money in trust) to the watermen, and made life better for the businesses, visitors and especially the residents of QA County.

So I'm saying if you want to alienate the targets of your Calvert business marketing by letting the North Beach mayor's office act irresponsibly you can. But if you want to be positive about intelligent use of Chesapeake resources and maximize the opportunities now is the time to act. This weekend is a critical point on the leadership path.

Now is not the time to be turning away dollars and most people have long memories. It's your choice, but I'd strongly suggest a heart-to-heart with those folks over lunch.

Sincerely,

Bill Peterson
Chester, MD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.