Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is a problem that has always perplexed me...:confused::confused:

How in the hell do you oil a Spinning Reels without taking them totally apart...:eek::eek:

Where are the oiling points on these puppies,,,,why aren't there little lube ports?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I never oil, only lightly coat with grease.

·
Registered
633 Posts
there are, just take off the spool and then you know how it has the spool shaft, well right next to that there should be a little plate with a screw on it, unscrew it and use your little bottle of oil to put some oil in there SLOWLY, dont get ahead of yourself it takes a bit for the oil to go down! thats it!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are, just take off the spool and then you know how it has the spool shaft, well right next to that there should be a little plate with a screw on it, unscrew it and use your little bottle of oil to put some oil in there SLOWLY, dont get ahead of yourself it takes a bit for the oil to go down! thats it!
Ahha the magic secret,,,,I see that screw now....TY tons:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
inshoreangler95 is correct, oil the spool shaft, and if your reel has ball bearings on the sideplates for the handle, you can remove the handle and oil these as well.

I also run some oil under the covers for the bail arms and springs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
AH Yes simplicity at it's finest, the old Penn Greenie series 700-722 and Penn Z series , just pull side plate, nothing jumps out ,pull spool.drag stays together, little dab oil here does it, put spool back on ,dont even have to take line off Love them Older Reels. Not Real Pretty but functional

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not sure if this is the "proper" way but each year I soak all mine in warm water. Usually place a couple at a time in a large bowl - fill with warm/hot water - let sit, drain and repeat a couple of times. This seems to dissolve/loosen up any salting issues that normal washing didn't get. I then take it apart - removing side plates, handle and shaft, spool peice, etc. Let everything dry thoroughly. Once dry, I hit up every edge and moving peice/joint with some grease. At this point, I havent' physically removed any of the gears/cogs as I can grease the appropriate points without removing them. Once everything gets greased that needed greasin' - I put everything back together. Works like brand new. Smooth, etc.

Disclaimer - my spinner collection is by far not "top of the line". Most are basic reels from store bought combos but they work well for me and serve me well when taking buddies fishing. I've had a couple of my nicer (more expensive) reels serviced by a local reel repair guy during the "off season" because I don't trust myself - lol.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am about to the point of what Hannibal talks about and buy $20-30 reels and spend the money on good rods. I don't care how well you take care of a reel, sand is going to find it's way into the covers and screw up the whole works.

Case in point I have three Daiwa Emcast Plus that I paid about $70 bucks a piece for. Not high end but not bottom end either. I also have bought 3 Daiwa D-Wave combo's for $30 each and they includes a graphite rod, and it casts very well. So now I am having problems with the Emcasts as they are starting to jam from all the grit and grim that comes with Surf fishing. Same thing will happen to the D-Wave's but at $30,. I can just toss the reel and still have a very good rod.

I am going to buy a Daiwa Black Gold in the near future because I have heard how tuff they are but that will be the extent of it as far as expensive reels go. My future formula will be cheap reel, top quality line and good rods.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have a couple spinning reels that I take down, clean and oil this time of year. They are not top of the line but a couple have lasted several years with no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts