Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I am servicing my reels what oil what oil should I use. I have been using Abu oil that came with the reels but running low.

Rocket fuel Red, XS, other??

I have losts of synthic oil at home , 15w40, 75w90, 75w140, 0w30, 10w40. Would any of these oils be recommended??

Thank You

·
Registered
681 Posts
My 2 cents worth

I've put 20w50 regular oil and 15w 50 synthetic oil in my reels. I think it really depends on what you plan on doing with the reel. It also depends on how many magnets you can put in your reel. My reel has only one magnet, so I have to use a thicker oil to slow it down. I needed some really thick oil for the baseballs. My magged blue yonders were just too fast with the oil that I was using. You can always come out to the free casting lessons at Kennilworth park and have someone there look at your reel for you.
Just not me, I keep a pick in my hand. My middle name should be birds nest.

·
Registered
577 Posts
There is a simple rule -

heavy oil = less mags or light oil = more mags

both are used together to control the reel.

I use 40wt oil and 2 mags in an UltraMag.

(Check the polarity of the magnets, they should be placed NSNS).

Led.

PS - Anthony has given some sound advice in that you should get together with others as it will save you time. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know rocket fuel is the most used oil but if other oil will work why not? What viscosty is red & XS rocket fuel.

I don't mind trying other oil to find one that will work.

Connman : Amsoil gear oil

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm following Conn's path(thicker is better), I'm trying Liquid Grease (460sae)that I'm thinning with Tournament Oil. It's thick, trying for something like Conn's gear oil, thinking that the rocket oil will stay in the bearings better.
Can't say that it's better than the gear oil, but I'm happy so far.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Red is heavier than what most use so I would suspect it should slow it down . If you don' have a heavier oil and the reel hasn't been tamed enough you can add more oil too to some extent to slow it down more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.