Pier and Surf Forum banner

Oh, the summertime crowds...(long story)

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  GraphixDude 
#1 ·
One good thing about the rain we've had was that it kept all the bozos off the beach.

It's Monday evening and thought I'd run down to the Lesner to toss some lures for some hungry blues (I was going to dunk bait but realized I left my rod holders at home). Of course, it's crowded. Bottom rigs lined about 100 yds west from the bridge. As I was heading towards the end where I can cast, I notice some folks in the water (that's fine, I thought - couple of tourists in the water, no problem). Well these people were on a surfboard. A SURFBOARD! Sitting/Standing there waiting for the next set to come in. (Editor's note: I surf and have even surfed the bay. It's not unusual to see surfers in the bay when a nor'easter blows in.)
Wait, it gets better.
I walk by them (chuckling) and drop my stuff down about 25 yards from them. As I'm rigging my bucktail on, the older guy (he was sitting with his board on the beach waiting for the perfect wave to come in, I guess) has the balls to tell me that I can't fish here. He said, "Do you mind findin' somewhere else to fish?" I said, "Don't worry about it brah (surfer speak), I'll be over here." (Pointing west of him) As he was walking away I was asked him how the waves were and I think he got PO'ed at that remark. (These weren't kids either, all adults.)
But wait, there's more...
After about an hour of waiting for the perfect set to roll in, the surfers finally gave up and left. Then comes two guys to take their spot. One guys tosses his first cast out about 20 yards and crosses at least 2 lines to his right and leaves it there. He had to set up his other rig that he dropped IN THE SAND when he tossed out his line.
And finally....
The sun was going over the CBBT so me and Mrs. C2H&G decide it's time to leave. As we were leaving I noticed a guy (the buddy from above's 20 yds toss) is about 50 yards away in the middle of the beach reeling in his line. At that point when I realized what he's doing, I'm tangled in his line. Both feet wrapped in mono.
Get me out of here!
Oh yeah, the fishing report:
Using a white bucktail with a trailer, a dozen small blues (2 doubles) and 1 foul hooked 20# cownose. She was fun on light tackle.
Is it fall yet?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.