Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted on 14-Aug-2003 11:08:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there fishing folks! I joined Capt. Paul with 2 other buddies on Wednesday for a trip out to the deep. We left Salt Pond's at 12:45AM Wednesday morning with a course set for Wayne's World. The ride out was unbelievably nice with a light SSE breeze, VERY calm seas, and a nearly full moon to light the way. It was neat to check out Mars also, that is, until the fog and cloud cover splintered and brushed out the moonlight and did away with, 'the Red planet'. We arrived at our waypoint a touch early, and so had lines in and trolling at 6AM. I observed the water temperature to be 72* here. We were running a 9 line spread, which consisted of a wtfb bird/green machine combo, 2 large Islander's for our longriggers, a jethead and a medium Islander for the shorts, 3 flats w/ small jetheads, and a deep running Drone w/ 50ft. of leader and 28oz. of lead. Well, it wasn't long before the first fish of the day was playing the reel on one of the flatlines having missed the shortrigger bait. Nice boil too, but it was the 1st of about 6 Fat Alberts we nailed early on. We released all but 2, saving them for bait. Had a mystery bite and then picked up a Skipjack Tuna on the shortrigger. Surprisingly, we had no Bluefish all day. That's a good thing! So, around 8AM we trolled NE with intentions of hitting the bight of the Norfolk Canyon and then troll the wall to the tip. The day was awesome. A little sun, the hint of a southerly breeze, and lots of life. We saw some whales, a Hammerhead, sea turtles, porpoise o' plenty, petrels galore, an ocean going Sunfish, and a few unmentionables...... no weedlines ANYWHERE. In fact, I think I saw 1 blade of grass out there the whole day. As we angled our way to the Norfolk, we heard very little action on the radio. I think we heard of 1 Tuna caught, and a scattered Mahi bite. In the Canyon area now, we switch to smaller baits, the water is A LOT prettier, silver/blue, clear as a bell, and up to 74*. Real nice rips, some slicks, dancing petrels, but few fish. We decide we'll troll the lobster bouy area where the Big Eye bite had occured earlier in the week. Saw some other boats and the word was there were some Bailers on some of the balls. We trolled past a time or 2 with no strikes and then, after seeing some fish laying way deep under the ball, decided to throw some peanut bunker and Albacore chunks to 'em. Whamo!! Fish On!! We managed to land 6 or so Mahi, missing an equal number, before they all got lock jaw. The fish were thick there, but they were VERY finnicky. Also, the water temperature here was up to 76.5*.....So, we decide to troll the next set of lobster bouys near the tip of the Canyon, and on our first pass the deep bait goes ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Fish On. This time it feels a little bigger, maybe a Wahoo they way it's fighting, but after a brief battle, we deck our only other Tuna of the day, a 30lbs. YFT. We hailed the other boats in the area over, as things were slow, but we didn't hear of any other hook-ups. As the day wore on, the angling slowed, but the beauty of the sea kept us in the game. Truly awesome out there with little wind or wave action. Inshore a little now, real good rips near the Ocean Venture wreck and then WHAMO, another fish on the deep bait. The run led us to believe we had another decent fish on, but it ended up being a Fat Albert on a loose drag. So, we picked 'em up and ran in towards the Triangle wrecks. Here we dropped our Albacore chunks and 'Peanuts' over the side and started nailing some real nice Black Seabass up to 4 1/2lbs.. All but a few were real quality fish and we only lost a rig or 2. Sweet! A real good way to round out the afternoon. The bite slowed, and so we pointed the Big Minnow westward for the smooth ride in. Around the mouth of the Bay there was a little more wave action, and we watched the distant rain weave it's way thru Hampton Roads. We even joked about stopping for some Flounder fishing, but we were beat. Arrived back at the dock around 8:30PM and had the boat and fish cleaned by 9:30PM. GREAT DAY!!! Final totals were: YFT=1, Skippy=1, Mahi=6, Fat Albert's=7, and Seabass=25+.
One last thing; those planers may catch fish, but they are a pain in the ***, and as soon as we took it out of the water, we started getting some bites. I'm sure there is equal support for and against, but unless that's the only way fish are being caught, we felt there is too much hardware in the water when using them. Even with the break away set-up, too much to potentially lose other hook-ups on, and all the metal down there can't be attracting fish. We switched to the in-line with a LONG leader, and had good results(4 fish). Just some thoughts. Fish On

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laughing so hard, the devil gets scared....

Zigh

:D :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Used a manual livewell with about 3 dozen croaker on board and caught 20lb+ striper C&R last saturday morning. 15 fish in about an hour and a half as soon as the sun rose. Just AWESOME!!! Later on with dead croaker floating smaller fish were bustin the surface. Smiling all week!!!!!!:D :D I'm hoping for another invite soon.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice report! I need to start hanging out with you man!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx

I appreciate the replies fellas! If there's an opening sometime FL Fisherman, maybe I'll look you up..... Sunday AM my buddy Darren and I are gonna try the Kayak gig in Lynnhaven Inlet. I got a few places to try and a few tips from folks, so hopefully we'll have a productive outting........ I'll post the results Sunday evening.
Fish On
:D

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey that would be nice, bet even if it never happens keep posting them kind of reports here and I will just dream that I was right next to you pulling in some of those fish!:D Good luck at lynhaven sunday my friend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jason Would love to have you fish with myself and Zigh. Gonna do an overnighter on 9/8 or 9/21 depending on weather. Or you can wait to hit the fall stripers with us or both. Contact Zigh and he will get you on board. Paul Big Minnow Little warning my boys like to party!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts