Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fished with The Albatross Fleet out of Hatteras on Wed.Got to the dock at 6:15 and by 6:30 we
were heading out to sea.Ran till about 7:00 then slowed a little to put out some lures for high
speed trolling for kings.No takers on the lures and the mate pulled them in when we got to the
temp change line. It will never stop amazing me how beautiful the change from green to deep blue
water is.We trolled along the line for a while but no luck, so we headed off looking for weed lines.
Found one and trolled along it but only got 2 peanut dolphin off it. One I got on th Penn 80ST.
you can imagine how much "fun" a 3 pound peanut is on that big reel. We headed on looking
for another weed line that some chatter on th radio said there were some bailers on. Sure enough
they were there,the first group we only got 2 from and then they disapeared. The second group was
bigger and hungry. While we were puting peanuts in the boat one gaffer size dolphin kept coming up to the long rigger
that was dangling in the water but wouldn't eat it. We tried to feed it a balyhoo on one of the
bailing rods but no dice,then we tried a whole squid with the same amount of success.Finally he
got bored and moved off and after 8 more peanuts in the boat we had our limit of dolphin. Not bad
for 11:30 in the morning.

So with our limit of dolphin we headed south. Ernie took us over a wreck and th planer rod goes
off. My turn so I boat a nice 20# Amber Jack. Next pass AJ, next pass AJ, next pass AJ. As the mate
is puting the last AJ in the boat Ernie yells out "Holy [email protected], look at them Tuna!" Suddenly we
are in the middle of a school of tuna busting everywhere.Ernie says to the mate " You know what
this means." And he heads below to get something. Ernie tells us we are going to kite fish.
I'm thinking OK this should be interesting. And sure enough he breaks out a kite and sets it up
on a rod from the bridge. They get everthing set up and Rich, the mate looks at me and says this wont
take long. Not even 45 seconds later a tuna bust on the bait and I'm hooked up. Nice 35# YFT
in the boat. A little later and a 36# YFT. After a little while longer another hook up but this
one comes in with only a head! Prolly would have been a 20#er, bit clean off behind the fins.
While we are checking out the head 10-15 AJs swarm the boat and one grabs the hoo on th long
rigger and heads straight down. A short time later we have our 5th AJ in the boat. We headed
looking for the tuna again.After a while we get a 37# YFT again on the kite rig. Its really cool
to see the tuna busting on the lure. So now only one of us haven't got a YFT so we head on. Another
hook up but it pulled off, another hook up but this one broke the wire on the first run. Then
a serious hookup. The tuna skied 4 feet out of the water when it hit the bait. Another 37# YFT
in the boat. Ernie says one more pass and I'm wondering how we are gonna fit another tuna into
the fish box.Well sure enough another strike and I'm up. Reeling it in I'm feeling a lot of
head shaking,cool maybe a Wahoo! Nope a tuna that was bit off above the tail,missing a third
of the fish,still weighed 32#. Was a shark eating my tuna that I was feeling shaking. So that ends
the day and we head back to the dock.

Ended up with 4 2/3 tuna, 5 AJs and a limit of dolphin. 430# of fish. Not a bad day if you ask
me.
:)

And best of all no one :barf:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Now that is some serious fishing Cdog. Excellent report! It is gonna take you a year to eat all that fish!:D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FL FISHERMAN, I used up all my frozen bait on the beach so my bait freezer is gonna become my fish freezer! :D

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Looks like you had to leave Va to catch them there fish

So when are you gonna get around to catching some decent size fish around here.:rolleyes:

BTW: You had a blast. Good work Cdog!

:cool:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Thrifty

So when are you gonna get around to catching some decent size fish around here
Looks like fall.Hopefully this wacky summer dosen't become a sucky fall! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
402 Posts
thanks for the report, im going out of wanchese on tuesday on my buddies commercial boat (he does a few charters on the side) according to him this has been a terrible year for tuna, so its really good u guys got into em. hopefully ill find some, cause thats what i really want with maybe a little mahi. my freezer is already stocked with every other species hehe.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Nice catch Cdog,but I wants to know why your head was hurtin'!!!...the R

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks

Glad to hear you got some pullage going on! That kite tehnique is REALLY interesting and works well down south on the Sailfish as well as Tuna.. That's worth the whole trip; to see Tuna knockin' the daylights out of a surface bait...... Thanx for the report ....

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't know if I was going

On thursday I not sure if I'm going, Friday hav'nt made up my mind yet, but I took a week off and got lucky met up with friends and just so happen to get to go offshore fighing. Ho and I'm not going to drink this weekend either, sounds like someone is in dreamland or just full of @#[email protected]!#$%&&&^%$.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gus, Ernie said those were th first tuna caught in th area we were fishing this season. Guess we got lucky, good luck on your trip.

Th R, you can guess why my head was hurting. ;)

Zigh, looking forward to hearing your latest report. This was my only trip this year. :(

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
hey cdog you let me know when i can get my 3or4 tuna steaks sound-d like a blast for sure dude that freakn shark musta been real hungry :jawdrop:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When th word gets out

Tuna goes real quick!!!:D

Not only was th shark hungry, it was big. Wouldn't wanna be swimming there! :eek:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Cdog!

Sounds like a great outing! Hope you got plenty of pics (although when the fishing gets hot, its tough to remember to grab the camera!)

Did you actually get to see the shark(s)? What species?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Manayunk Jake, I left my camera along with th sun screen in th back of my truck. We did get some pics on th dock.

As far as th sharks, no I didn't see them as they were munching on our tuna down deep. Th first one was bit off in one bite. Angler said he felt one tug and then th tuna head started skipping across th surface to th boat. I'm guessing th shark would have a bite radius large enough to go around my thigh with ease.:eek:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Cdog!

That sounds like a thresher... They like deep water, and they're fond of tuna (when they can catch them!) They're occasionally caught up here in NJ when fishing for Makos. I believe someone set a new state record of 570 lbs or so this year in NJ, and thresher can exceed 1000 lbs....

So that's why you had the good day! Never fails -- leave the camera home. I've been carrying two, and I've still got a half a roll of film on each... Tells you what kind of season I'm having!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was fishing out of ogdins on wed. also

Went out on the miss hatteras, I probably walked right past you. We were offshore wreck fishing. Used 16 oz. to stay on bottom. Caught alot of snapper, grouper, seabass and a couple of jacks. I kept one around 35lbs. Most of the grouper was too small, and my fishing partner lost a nice size barracuda at the boat. Would I have rather gone out on a charter yes, but this was a last minute decision. Two things I have to say, first if your ever going out on that boat, don't believe them when they say that they provide good quality rods and reels, and two I never saw two mates work so hard as I did on that trip. The mate Natalee really works hard. We brought 3 rods and when a fish bent a hook or snapped the line we would grab our spare rod, when you turned around she would have another rig set up for already. I was really surprised by the few people who tipped the mates.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Manayunk Jake, thresher huh. In my minds eye I imagined a mako because of their speed but th tuna get slowed down when hooked. Just realized that I hadn't put any film in my camera. Hope the other camera had film in it.

Baran013, we got back to th dock at 5 pm and were there until 7:30 cleaning and bagging fish. I have heard nothing but good things about th Miss Hatteras, thanks for th info on th rods.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Cdog!

The "shaker" you described may well have been a mako, but the one gulp brute probably wasn't.

You can tell how a shark feeds by the shape of its teeth. Although the thresher has small teeth for its size, they are triangulated "cutting" teeth. On the other hand, the mako has long, pointed teeth for grabbing prey.

Of course, since you were fishing "blue water", other possiblities are the blue shark and tiger shark.

In any event, the shark that took that tuna was a brute. I'm surprised you haven't thought about a chunking trip to extract revenge!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
revenge . your pl ayn on there field ya know what that means :cool: :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Manayunk Jake,Hadn't considered th tiger, an they get big. As far as exacting revenge. I wouldn't want to tangle with what took th tuna in one bite with th reels we were using for th tuna.:D

BTW th really funny thing is I stayed up watching Jaws Tue night. :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts