Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading down the week of the 23rd for the first time. Was supposed to go last fall, but Dorian had a different plan.

Any fishing reports? Would fishing be similar to what's' in the Dare county thread?

Advice on fishing spots, ocean or sound? No 4 wheel drive, so have to hoof it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seeing reports from Tradewinds Tackle about Spanish from the beach!. Maybe we'll get into some of those.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll offer up a fishing report from Ocracoke. Been fishing at the beach near the Pony Pen.

Fishing has been slow, just a few virginia mullet yesterday, puffers and a burrfish. Today a few more virginia mulet, another burrfish, one spot and the the pinfish have showed up. Been fishing 5-6 hours from high to low tide. Been using shrimp, sand fleas and a few fishbite flavors with shrimp the only thing catching anything. Tomorrow I'll try some jigs.

Seeing jumping mullet just behind the break.

Had a few neighbors yesterday and I didn't see anyone else catching anything.

The nearly isolated beach is quite the pleasure. First trip here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll offer up a fishing report from Ocracoke. Been fishing at the beach near the Pony Pen.

Fishing has been slow, just a few virginia mullet yesterday, puffers and a burrfish. Today a few more virginia mulet, another burrfish, one spot and the the pinfish have showed up. Been fishing 5-6 hours from high to low tide. Been using shrimp, sand fleas and a few fishbite flavors with shrimp the only thing catching anything. Tomorrow I'll try some jigs.

Seeing jumping mullet just behind the break.

Had a few neighbors yesterday and I didn't see anyone else catching anything.

The nearly isolated beach is quite the pleasure. First trip here.
I haven't been since Dorian, but there were a lot of good holes towards the n. end of the island that were accessible by foot. Usually do decent on pomps and mullet this time of year. Sand fleas are usually the bait of choice. A lot of times if you find a lot of fleas you will find fish near by. Will be there next week, good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll give it a look see.

Very slow today, only thing I caught was a 14" (nose to fork) pompano on a sabiki rig of all things. Got bored and was trying to catch the jumping mullet in the surf and got a surprise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
"Jumping mullet in the surf" seems a little unusual this time of year. Could they have been jumping Spanish in the surf?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could have been small ones I guess as you're right it's quite a bit early for them.There were lots around and weren't very big,, 4-6 inches. Only got out of the water a half a foot or so and I didn't see that forked tail. Guy up the beach did catch one with a cast net as the surf wasn't that rough and they were just past the break. Didn't go see what he pulled out. They were there Monday and Tuesday.

Went up north today and did find deeper spots right after the break. Caught several small mullet. I didn't find many fleas (lots near the pony pen), but I was only there 2 hours right around high tide. Maybe more when the tide is farther out. Surf much rougher today, Bertha must have churned things up. Beach is closed to the south right after the access path. Didn't go further North since there were lot's of 4x4's lined up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts