Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what has happened to the SPOT fishing in Ocean View? Fish at the pier today, caught 30+ croaker & only 2 Spot. Used Bloodworms & BW Fishbites too, but still croaker. (should have just used squid & saved some $$$).

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Saw a lady catch a nice mess of 10-12" spot off the NOB pier a couple days ago. They're around, just not near pier it seems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just no size to them

I fished the Lynnhaven Pier last Saturday evening until about 1:00 AM Sunday. People were catchin' Spot sometimes 2 at a time. Most were using the bubble gum (bloodworm fishbites); I was using that and nightcrawler (Yeah, I said it "nightcrawler" and I thought they hit the nightcrawler better for me). I'd say I caught 20 or so, but they were all 5 to 6 inches long - too big for live bait (I do not have a boat to go after the big doormat flounder out in the bay) and too small to bother cleaning. Hopefully the bigger ones are on the way, or maybe I can find a pier with some deeper water w/in casting distance. A Norfolk native I ended up talking to on the pier suggested 2 to 3 more weeks and the big ones will be around. We'll see.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spot in the OV & Willoughby Surf??

How bout fishing in the surf? Seems like it use to be good 20 years ago where the amusement park use to be, you could park real close too.

How about over by the HRBT side?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anyone know what has happened to the SPOT fishing in Ocean View? Fish at the pier today, caught 30+ croaker & only 2 Spot. Used Bloodworms & BW Fishbites too, but still croaker. (should have just used squid & saved some $$$).

Anyone have any ideas?

Go to Lynnhaven Pier, you can try OVP Pier as well! Same Technique,

Size 4 hooks on bottom rig

or sabiki rigs

squid, buy the stuff fresh on the pier, it's not badly priced at all

Cut it in squares or small rectangles for the sabiki

hook it twice and keep your lines tight

do it at night, do it near the end

Guaranteed spot

·
Registered
90 Posts
Togman

When I've been out there the last 3 weeks I've noticed that the spot seem to bite on the outgoing tide and shut down on the incoming. Just my observation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts