Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to drop some stuff off to the sis in norfolk so I decided to give this pier a shot. Well I got there at 4pm tide just started coming in and fished till 9pm.
Baits: bloodworm fishbites, misc gulps, double-bucktails, and rattletraps.

Started with the fishbites in an effort to get a lone leftover spot for bait and was jigging with the gulps. Managed 3 throw back flounder 12", 13" and 16".
The tide really started rolling at around 7pm and a HUGE school of giant menhaden started to terrorize my bottom rigs. I couldnt hook them for some reason. Finally I got on a gulp shrimp and he instantly became bait(started with his head). Caught a couple more on a sabiki and gave them away. I had 5 breakoffs from big fish (no idea what they were) 1 was because I didnt have my drag set and it almost pulled my rod in the water. the others happend because the fish wrapped himself around the pylons and structure at the bottom (looks like part of an old pier). I had 3 rods all fairly light weight for whatever fish that was nothing higher than 12 pound test. My rods and lines just didnt have the backbone to really control the fish. Missed alot of big fish and I didnt have a net to get them on the pier anyways so I guess it was inevitable. Around 8pm the blues started chasing the menhaden and biting my gulps in half.I wasnt really interested in them so I stopped jigging and just bottom fished for the last hour or so. I stuck around just until the tide was about to go slack again. Overall still good fun and plan to get back there eventually. Anyone else have any luck at this place? I didnt even know a menhaden could eat something as big as a gulp shrimp. All three of the menhadens stomachs were packed FULL of worms and what looked like baby eels or something. Interesting...

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Interesting indeed, I have never seen bunker hit bait or lures, I have caught shad and herring on lures though.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Are you sure they werent shad? I cought a couple in the 15'' range and had confused them for bunker at first due to the shape of the mouth/throat and the black dot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eegat!

After reading your post it seems that would make more sense. At the same time after just now reading the regulations on shad(Ive never fished for shad in the potomac like many flyfishers do) I really hope it wasn't. I guess I should've thought it through but it just didnt occur to me. I had bought some whole frozen bunker from a baitshop last weekend and it looked just like it so shad didn't even cross my mind. I wish I had taken a picture to know for sure....

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is the main place that I go fishing. Very rarely do I get stumped out there. The last few trips were kinda slow but still managed to catch enough spot to keep some and use the rest for bait. Croakers have slowed down dramatically. Blues are out on a pretty consistent basis. Seen a lot of puppy drum pulled up closer to the shore and the specs have started biting out there as well.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
315 Posts
Oh boy! Yeah, I have a blast with the throw back Shad and Herring out there late in the season. Keep going, and help keep the pier open 'till year end, or extreme weather closes it for the season.

Should be schoolie stripers.

That being said, they will close down on you kind of early on a slow night. And it is Night Fishing sunset to 1-am and then the drive to Richmond...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts