Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a lot of guys fish Ocean Crest Pier and I was looking at their website and tehy caught a lot of big spanish and trout. What kind of rigs are most of the trout and spanish caught on? Gotchas, Jackson, etc.?

·
Registered
285 Posts
As for the spanish most people use either gotchas or polecat(I Think) lures which are cheaper versions of gotchas but IMO work better at times.

Most people fishing for trout use float rigs with live shrimp which can be caught at the park on 41st street (I think)

The trout that i caught this year was caught on polecat lures.

Head down there and talk to Dave he's always willing to help anyone out :D

Rigging the live shrimp, From what i've seen they were using one small treble hook on a steel leader with a float 2-3 foot about that, hook the treble hook through the back of the shrimp and toss it in and let it drift with the tide out from the pier 8-10 feet. I've seen people limit out on trout in 20 minutes doing this.

Hope this helps

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info

·
Registered
285 Posts
np, and the park is on 40th street. I usually leave from up here around 2am and get down there and have an hour or so to catch bait before the pier opens. Take a can of cat food with ya and a long piece of string. punch a few holes in it, tie it off to land and toss it in. Wait a few minutes and give your cast net a toss over the area where the cat food is. You can usually get enough of last all day.

If you can get some small pogies while your catching shrimp, runs these out on float rigs to. They work for big trout and spanish.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome, i think i'll be fishing ocean crest for your little tournament and I want to know how the locals catch the trout and spanish while i'm waiting on mr. brown or that smoker

·
Registered
285 Posts
There's always a great group of people out on the end of OCP willing to help out in any way possable and they pier has very reasonable rates. Can't ask for more. Gotta watch the bait tank and make sure there's always bait available. Missed out on a school of king early one morning right off the pier because I couldn't get any bait and didn't have any help. Too many people casting plugs off the end into the schools of pogies for spanish and couldn't get my castnet thrown inbetween 'em to get bait. It can get frustrating at times, counted two cobia and 7 kings in 10 minutes. Of course once i got a net full of pogies everyone wanted some. At times you have to hold your tongue, but all the regulars on the pier start off with catching bait and are usually always willing to share as long as it's plentifull.

Spring time there usually isn't a problem casting plugs for blues. We can fill up the tank many times over in no time. I perfer to fish during the week when there's not many people out there. The weekends can get crazy with every spot on the t taken up.

For those king fishing on the weekends get to the pier early. Spots are given out by number drawings (Lowest number gets first pick and on down the line). During the week it's first come first serve.

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info, yeah i usually make sure there's enough bait in the tank before I do anything else, and i f there's not many I do my best to catch some. I'm looking at buying a net to throw on pogies cuz the one I have now isn't quite big enough so I should be able to help some with that. Plus I'd much rather catch a king or a cobe than a spanish anyway!:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got mine from walmart. Works great but i have to add rope to it when I use it on the pier.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
local term for menhaden

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yep, menhaden i think they're called a million different things all up and down the east coast. One of the best baits there is for kings off a pier.

Spring time they're usually hard to find with any size to 'em. I stick with bluefish 8-12" and sometimes larger depending on what i can get. As far as cobia from what i hear big pin fish are by far the best.

Tight Lines

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts