Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family caught about ten sharks between 2 and 5 feet long at the OC Pier on Sat and Sun night, 14th and 15th. I have not had good luck on that pier in the past, but if you want to bring up a shark in your dropnet, they were really hitting. My 11 year old will be bragging about his shark for years, no doubt.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Great report! That is good news for those sharkhunters on the board. I am hoping to make it out to AI this summer and try to get me a couple. Did a little black tip sharking in FL this past christmas with 20 big game and steel leader. NO CHANCE! But it got me interseted after all those breakoffs. Any one up for a weekend run this summer about in Aug/Sep?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Not sure when the better time is but yeah just use a drum rig or even a three way rig. I have been told mullet is good and fish heads are even better. Many shark hunters live by the bluefish heads and croaker heads so starting this weekend at the tank I will be saving my fillet remains.:D

·
Registered
597 Posts
FL

what size hooks do you prefer for shark?

In general what size hooks do you fish with on a daily basis. I suppose it depends on species.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well I usually use 2/0 or 3/0 circle hooks for most of my regular fishing but will have to go to a much larger hook when going for sharks.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Am looking at using 10/0 to 13/0 hooks. Hopefully will get more info from people on board
:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Since I don't have a 4x4, I'd love to hook up with anyone heading out to AI for some sharking. If you're going at any point (including weekdays-- I work for myself) drop me an e-mail/b-mail!

Bob

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sounds good rugger. I have a 4x4 Ford Escape but was hoping to hook up with someone with a bigger truck and maybe even who could show me the ropes if I got my permit for AI.

·
Registered
597 Posts
FL

I don't have a truck but I would like to do some shark fishing as well. Let me know when your going out and maybe we can work out something.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
FL FISHERMAN...I'd like to go in September and I think my Expedition is big enough. I'm going to be on vacation in OC the last week in August and will get my ORV permit. I'll probably go sharkin at least on nigh while I'm there. Talk to you about it more Saturday at the Tank.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
No problem reddog1. I will let u know. U have helped me out so I have no probleme with bringing u or anyone on the board. Catman sounds good. I will definitely talk to you on Sat. Can't wait. Tight lines!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Personally use 6/0 or 7/0 at AI, with a fishfinder rig, and depending on wind speed and direction, 4 oz - 10oz sinkers with cut bunker. Catch stripers (that's why they put up with the weather etc., blues, rays, skate (lots of em measly wabbits) and shark.

FL Fisherman, may want to wait until into September (blue and striper begin), though October November are great if you can deal with the weather (cold, wind and rain).

As for a trip, I usually have one weekend day off, the other during the week, and only have a Jeep Wrangler capable of one passanger (and gear), and I believe that seat may be taken ;) , he did ask first.

But "permit pending" ($70 for ORV and $20 for seasonal pass, ORV good from date of purchase), we could get a few 4 wheels out there and learn and fish.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Smooth Dogfish sharks were more than abundant during the
Memorial day weekend. I caught them up to 51" on bunker strips.

I saw a few pictures of Sand Sharks caught at AI earlier this month. Dogfish do not have any teeth. WATCH out for the sand sharks, they have sharp ones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
SHARKS

shark sand sharks are the same as smooth dogs same animal the ones with the dental work are sand tigers and browns all of the tigers must be released and they are chewing right now on ai if you can keep the skates off . ZOOM

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
AI Shark Rig

My buddies use this setup when the fish AI for sharks during the months of July and August:

"3 way swivel with 24 in steel to big float and 11/0 mustad J hook. 100 lb mono for about 3 feet tied to 50 shocker to 20 on the spool. Hook small fresh fish head thru the lips and wade out on a gentle shallow sloping beach. Hard to throw far with all that tackle and pendulum motion you get so got to wade. If no crabs then a fishfinder right on the bottom with steel leader works fine and you get better cast. 100 lb mono a necessity to keep tail flapping from cutting line."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts