Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going to Ocean City this weekend for vacation and plan to do some fishing while I am down there. My question to you all is what is a good spot for some good family fishing? Do the fish have a preference as to what you throw at them? I will be staying on the boardwalk but will be willing to travel 20 mins. or so in any direction. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
399 Posts
there are plenty of piers at the inlet, a bulk head at 2nd -4th streets in the bay, a pier at 9th street and behind the convention center is another pier.

or try http://atbeach.com

the trout are running and croakers are starting to show up. the fish are biting everywhere you just have to catch a moving tide

·
Registered
41 Posts
The pier at the end of the boardwalk seems inviting, and certainly is convenient, but I have generally had very poor luck there compared to other piers. The exception was last trip I took there in June when we caught some small sand sharks, which was fun for my kids. But I'd try somewhere else.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you said something Brackish because that was gonna be one of the piers that I frequented the most on my trip. I hope to get into some pretty good size trout now that Gwaud has said the magic word. Thanks again.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Skully don't forget the Rt50 bridge at night and shaney town peir both hot spots.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
681 Posts
i was at oc two weeks ago and it could be frustrating to fish in the surf, because of crabs. i think using lures at the inlet might be the best bet. me and my friend caught over 30 blues at the inlet at night. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
oc fishing

the key word is family fishing,so i suggest the pier. if you choose the pier go in the early morning and or evening. the pier behind the convention center at 41st street is nice to fish just before sunset . stay away from the inlet ,if you have small children, unless you want to pop snags in the rocks all night.:eek:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
terpfan- what kind of lure were you useing and how big were the blues,any size to them and one more thing what size was your leader material(#) wise.:) TRIGGER

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good information guys, keep it coming. Are there any places in Delaware which is nearby to fish? I'm very interested in hearing from the board what type of lure works best for bluefish. I've always heard of casting spoons to them, but I think bucktails would probably work too. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
681 Posts
triggerfish, the blues were around 10"-19" mostly about 14"-16".
i also caught two stripers, 23" and 15". stripers were caught with rappala magnum lures, and blues were caught with hopkins and gotcha plugs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
oc fishing

CAPE HENLOPEN PIER IS AN EXCELLENT PLACE TO TAKE THE FAMILY FISHING. YOU CAN CATCH SHARK, SMALL BAIT FISH AND FLOUNDER. YOU CAN ALSO THROW LURES FOR BLUES AND TROUT. THE PIER IS SO BIG THAT IT CAN ACCOMEDATE A LOT OF PEOPLE WITH OUT CROWDING.:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Henlopen fishing

I have never been to Henlopen pier and was wondering if the different fishing spots are easy to reach by foot or is vehicle needed. I noticed that a surf vehicle license needed to drive on the beach for an out of state vehicle cost $100. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I like Cape Henlopen for Flounder n Seatrout fishin.IRI is a good spot for almost everything but very hard to fish;w/all its snags and heavy current.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
To do 4x4 on the beach you need to get the permit;but I walk on the beach.I just pay the $5 and use their state parks;keep it simple.Though having a Fishin Mate cart does help alot.If you travel on the beach carry very light amount of stuff and use a cart;that will save you alot of trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts