Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished All over OC this weekend waters were calm hardheads were plentyfull using squid and bloodworms some good flounders and rocks caught, windy at times, traffic and parking was slow all peirs and jetties were ok all and all loved every minute..Had to drive further out because me and my five fishing buddy support the boycott of North Beach thumbs up HAT80...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Thanks for supporting Whodini. Did you try AI at all? Also did you get any kingfish(whiting, mullet, whatever you want to call it...) on the surf or pier? Sounds like you guys had a good time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OC Weekend continued

Well fisherman me and my buddies had such a great time on the weekend we went back Monday and Tuesday, Let me tell you we fished at the end of the Jettie at the amusement park The Rockfish came in 32" to 48" one after another, at one point all six of us hand a big one on using ele or squid. We ended up together with our limit each day, about 200 pounds of whiting taken, Kingfish where taken but scatered , 2 1/2 to 4 foot blues came in around 8:30pm if you didn't have a steel leader you were out of luck we caught about 4 each, Small Sharks gave us some crazy fun for about 2 hours, Hardheads were the last of our fun Caught our limit, none stop actions im hooked I beleive and I will make that drive from now on...

P.S. Make sure caring enough weights and leaders, we went thru 30 packs of squid in 6 hours.. good luck All.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What a post!

Whodini,
That has got to be the post of the summer! Rocks and Blues that aarge and regularly. You siad you were at the Jetty by the park? Isn't that only about 100 yards fromt their little fishing pier? Where did you buy the eels at and how much? Damn, I am excited now! :D Again a great post.....
- Surfman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought the eels at the Bait store about 3 blocks up from the park
Yes it's about 100 yards from their peir, Good luck I will back out there AFTER the holiday

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whodini, looks like you found what we've been lookin' for all summer. I was down there about this time last year and saw a kid and his father hooking onto to rocks all night long. They were not doing anything fancy at all, just throwing Gotcha plugs and a steady retrieve. The dad had one on that I thought his ugly stick was going to break!!! Sue Foster's web page shows proof that the fish were at OC all along.

Save me a linesider for my flyrod Whodini. Great catches!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whodini, enough already! I fish the North Jetty more than most locals and your report is exaggerated to say the least. I may have believed the striper action, although 6 hookups at once is a bit much.

But....200 lbs of whiting AND some kings gave you away. After all, they are commonly referred to as the same. And 200 lbs of anything that small is hard to come by in those waters... But to report blues to 48" is ridiculous. There are VERY few blues in OC at this time and certainly none of that size. Lets keep it real...

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Whodini...Wow, I fished the inlet and surf everyday last week and wasn't lucky enough to see that kind of action. The kingfish action was good with one sometimes two caught on just about every cast during the outgoing high tide but to catch 200#'s would mean catching around 250 fish since most were in the 10" - 12" range. Guess I was in the wrong spot again. I never did see any croakers caught and only a couple of blues to 20". There were some nice rock caught up to 40" from the north jetty but to catch one after another you'd have to be fishing in their kitchen. Again, guess I was in the wrong spot again. I only managed to catch one rock from the inlet along with a lucky flounder. I've fished the inlet since the late 60's and haven't been that lucky. I'd like to fish with you sometime and learn your secret.;)

Catman.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts