Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of us are heading to OC this week. Plan on fishing for rockfish during low level light and tog during the day. Going to try Sassy shad type swim baits off the Rt 50 bridge and possibly eels as well. Question about the eels, do you normally fish them on a fish finder rig or weightless? Also heard of using a float with them about 4 feet under, anyone had experience with that? Appreciate the assist. :fishing:Greg

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
We used large floats to keep em off the bottom.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I fish eels under bobbers to when current and a good depth allows. Cast them out and let the float follow the natural path of the current by feeding line. On fishfinders I cast out and let the eels have slack be careful not to let them swim into any rocks. I've never fished them wieghtless though will be trying that soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks will let you know what we used and the outcome. Leaving tomorrow night to fish Thursday morning until Thursday night. Bridge first with artificials, then Tog either at the bulkhead or jetty. :fishing:Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fish eels under bobbers to when current and a good depth allows. Cast them out and let the float follow the natural path of the current by feeding line. On fishfinders I cast out and let the eels have slack be careful not to let them swim into any rocks. I've never fished them wieghtless though will be trying that soon.

That is a pretty cool idea with the bobbers. How many feet up do you place the bobber from the bait?

·
Registered
372 Posts
That is a pretty cool idea with the bobbers. How many feet up do you place the bobber from the bait?
I usually place the eel from 4' under the bobber to just a couple of feet off the bottom. The bobber i use is a 3" foam round bobber. They are the fixed kind but I take my needle nose pliers and pull the guts out to make it a slip bobber so I can cast it easier.

chesapeake

·
Registered
8 Posts
went fishing on the rt50 bridge and in the inlet a few days ago and caught shad at the bridge and nothing in the inlet. Felt sorry for the shad the long trip down might have been a little rough on their landing:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts