Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fished from Corolla to Hatteras Light.

Caught an amazing variety of Dogfish, Blow Toads, Pigfish, Skate, Spot and Crabs.

Caught exactly 0 Drum, 0 Rock and 0 Flounder.

The wind did lay down enough to run off shore a few times. We picked up a half dozen schoolie Tuna one day and some nicer Tuna and 3 good Wahoo another day.

Did a 2 day "Fall Foliage" cruise up the ICW / Dismal Swamp Canal.

Saw some old friends at Frank & Frans last week while registering for the Tournament.

All in all, a good time, and no fish to clean isn't an entirely bad thing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
dismal swamp canal

i had a part in mapping the ablemarle electric coop's electrical system last year. all electrical poles from ablemarle sound north to the va/nc border. we drove past the dismal swamp canal every day, and for the longest time never saw any boats in that dirty water. joked about it all the time going to and coming back from work. finally one day after about 3 months, we saw a sailboat. they were proudly flying the canadian flag. i laughed hard and figured they were either lost, or thought everybody rode the canal. regardless, seemed like all mariners avoided the dismal swamp. but, hopefully the foliage was nice and you saw some wildlife.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have to wait until the "Skeeters" are cooled down a bit, before you go prowling around in there.

I'm a pretty serious Civil War buff, and my girlfriend has had to endure hours and hours of "lectures" on the importance of those remote waterways to the Confederate blockade runners.

I've been intrigued with the role of the Confederate Navy during the "War of Northern Aggression" for a long time.

( Yeah, I know. They didn't teach you in school about the "CSS Maryland" sailing right past 4 shore batteries, into the Boston Navy Yard, and shelling the ships at anchor, the machine shops and powder magazine. )

That's because the "Winners" get to write the history books.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts