Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OBX Surf Report

Got to Buxton Monday night just in time to cut bait and get soaked. Missed the bite as the weather changed. Tuesday AM got to the point and a few puppies and sting rays being caught. Mid Tuesday went to Hatteras inlet and caught small blues, spot, and trout on my spot rigs. Kept a few small fish for Drum bait. Tuesday PM was windy as could be just before high tide and dark. Rough hunting and short lived. Wednesday AM there were a few puppies at the point early. Released a fat 25"er. After that, I headed north. Was tired of fighting the wrong wind. Rode every inch of the island that is legal checking out the holes/washes at low tide. 27 to Rodanthe looked really good. Nice structure for high tide bite. Got all the way to 4-2 and found puppies at low tide in the middle of the day. Wind was not as much a factor up near OI and Nags Head. So, in all, taught a bit of fishing and also learned a bit as well. Hopefully they will be in Buxton by the time I get back. Left wanting! Till next time.

Bubba Feesh

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Good work Bubba. Yeah man, it has been windy as heck here all October. I can count on one hand the amount of days it has blown less than 20mph in October it seems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just arrived Wednesday and could hardly the stand the winds on Thursday, would have been miserable earlier in the week I imagine! Hit OI on the way down and struck out, managed a few blues North of the Point Thursday afternoon and evening. Hit Ocracoke today, few big puffers and a nice sized black drum. My first. No reds yet. Did manage to net a few finger mullet down in the surf on Ocracoke, thought they were gone! Hitting it hard tomorrow and tomorrow night. Im learning to throw the 30SHV better after putting some brakes in it . Don't mean to thread jack. :)

TJ

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I just arrived Wednesday and could hardly the stand the winds on Thursday, would have been miserable earlier in the week I imagine! Hit OI on the way down and struck out, managed a few blues North of the Point Thursday afternoon and evening. Hit Ocracoke today, few big puffers and a nice sized black drum. My first. No reds yet. Did manage to net a few finger mullet down in the surf on Ocracoke, thought they were gone! Hitting it hard tomorrow and tomorrow night. Im learning to throw the 30SHV better after putting some brakes in it . Don't mean to thread jack. :)

TJ

Ya might try the lighthouse jettys... They caught pups,black drum,and specks on cutbait there today pretty good....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Was in Frisco Rod an Gun the Mon. after that last Nor'easter. A gentlemanly looking fellow walked in and asks the guy at the counter "Hey, how long has he wind been blowing here?" The guy behind the counter hardly looked up and said "Well, I've been here 42 years......"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ya might try the lighthouse jettys... They caught pups,black drum,and specks on cutbait there today pretty good....
Thanks for the tip DD! It might have been just as good today when we tried it if not for all the sharks and skates. Every cast was a 3 foot shark. Tonight...hah. I thought my knots were failing. Had 6 break offs before giving up and coming in. Cant keep anything in the water long enough for fish to hit....

TJ

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Thanks for the tip DD! It might have been just as good today when we tried it if not for all the sharks and skates. Every cast was a 3 foot shark. Tonight...hah. I thought my knots were failing. Had 6 break offs before giving up and coming in. Cant keep anything in the water long enough for fish to hit....

TJ
Found out yesterday that Frisco beach,near the pier was good for trout,up to 2 lbs in the morning.. I watchem catch spots,seamullet,blackdrum,and BAIL specks ALL DAY LONG!! They also caughtem from the beach off 34.. One guy had a cooler full,some up to 4lbs!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts