Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
Had some friends staying down at my old stomping grounds. Managed to hit the surf at the high tide and had a blast.

had constant action on the small rods rigged with shrimp pieces. ended up keeping about 7 pomps in the 9 - 10" range. Kept 4 kingfish (sea mullet) in the same. Released a bunch of smaller fish. Had my shark rod go off and got tail whipped, didn't even get to fight it a little.

The best part of the day was getting a jr. angler HOOKED. My friends friend had a little boy about 4 years. I had to hold the rod for him but he would crank the handle. He managed a few pomps, some smullet and a nice double of small blueies.

Headed back to the island for another round tomorrow.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day two,

Had another fantastic day at oak island. Lots of pomps, all were a little smaller than yesterday, but it was non stop action thru the high tide. A couple of nice sea mullet, and a few spot to round it out.

As for the sharks....more non stop action.

The big rod goes off, a few minute fight, then I get tail whipped.
Then, one of my light rods goes off (thankfully I had the drag light) It doubles over and the drag is screaming. I run for the rod, and its on. after about 15 minutes and with a nice crowd I finally land about a three foot scalloped ( i think, it had the smaller hammer-head look to it) on a ten pound pomp rig. I finally get the big rod re rigged , what I was doing when the scalloped took off, bait it with a small pomp head, ten minute later its screaming. About a five minute fight and the hook comes loose. Wade back out, cast again. Five minutes later it goes off again... 30" blacktip. Had five more pick ups... The last one I Hooked was a freight train. When I finally cranked on the drag and started to put the pressure on him, there was a gun shot and the line snapped right at the rod tip. I must have had a week spot in the braid. It was almost 8 months used. I was left with only about 150 feet left, and figured I could barely get a decent cast in let alone have anything left for a fight.

All in all, another awesome day at the island. till next report, surfs up.
TD

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tw daisy.

Fresh shrimp two hrs before and after high tide. search around until you find how far out they are. Check out the access at 6th street. Best of luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I came down yesterday and got to fish about 3 hours in the afternoon and I must have caught 20 pompano. 10 were big enough made it to the cooler. I have never seen this many at one time before. They were taking the shrimp and then swimming toward shore and the line would go slack.

At times they were swimming so fast I had trouble reeling in to to get the line tight. I had heard they do this but this was the first time I had experienced it. It was a nice afternoon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry, I tried to post a photo but can't figure it out. I would recommend trying the point with live finger mullet. There are trout and flounder being caught.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts