Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished at Oak Island Pier 6/6-6/8.
Fish bite was slow.
Caught 2 spots and 2 blues during the 2 days.
Water temp was 84 and the wind was out of the west and south.
A few kings were caught 16 lbs and 24 lbs and the other I don't know.
Stayed at the Oak Island Inn.
Rates were reasonable at $150.00 for this time of year.
Rooms were clean and nice, plus the staff were very nice and helpful.
I would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know there are houses there , but I believe you can still access/fish a good portion of the point ?
Possibly on the left going in....but its closed at times. Plus I might add the buoys have been removed and the channel is gone for the most part. Its shallow. At times you can almost walk over to Holden beach. If you want a short swim of a few feet you can at low tide. For a fishing beach its not much and I'm done with it as such.......plus its like a congested Myrtle beach. That was a nice beach years ago.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Possibly on the left going in....but its closed at times. Plus I might add the buoys have been removed and the channel is gone for the most part. Its shallow. At times you can almost walk over to Holden beach. If you want a short swim of a few feet you can at low tide. For a fishing beach its not much and I'm done with it as such.......plus its like a congested Myrtle beach. That was a nice beach years ago.
Was out there today for the first time. Not an epic fishing location, but I'd rate it good as any in south of FF. Point access was open on both sides, though we went beach front. Not too crowded to fish, but not sparse either. Caught typical SENC summer fare: Mullet and pinfish, with reports of small sharks and rays on cut bait.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Was out there today for the first time. Not an epic fishing location, but I'd rate it good as any in south of FF. Point access was open on both sides, though we went beach front. Not too crowded to fish, but not sparse either. Caught typical SENC summer fare: Mullet and pinfish, with reports of small sharks and rays on cut bait.
The right hand side on the split at the south point used to be a great location until they built all those houses and blocked it off for the most part. I would go net there and freeze bait for tough times when there was none to buy or net fresh.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi folks,

A good friend and I along with our wife’s use to go down and stay at the Ocean Crest Motel and fish the pier every fall before the fire. It doesn’t seem that long ago to me but it was back in the 1980’s and it’s been awhile. We had a bunch of epic fishing trips where we filled up coolers with spot, whiting, puppy drum, trout, and all the other fish you expect to catch off the pier in the fall. I’m serious the the bite was on so hard you couldn’t take a drink of a beer or smoke a cigarette unless you just reeled in and took a break! Sadly it doesn’t sound like that’s what’s happening there now days? I never liked the name change so I’ll just leave it with I have some great memories from Long Beach!

Von

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi folks,

A good friend and I along with our wife’s use to go down and stay at the Ocean Crest Motel and fish the pier every fall before the fire. It doesn’t seem that long ago to me but it was back in the 1980’s and it’s been awhile. We had a bunch of epic fishing trips where we filled up coolers with spot, whiting, puppy drum, trout, and all the other fish you expect to catch off the pier in the fall. I’m serious the the bite was on so hard you couldn’t take a drink of a beer or smoke a cigarette unless you just reeled in and took a break! Sadly it doesn’t sound like that’s what’s happening there now days? I never liked the name change so I’ll just leave it with I have some great memories from Long Beach!

Von
You are seeing the results of poor regulation on the part of NC and its ugly politics ..........and people like our governor who lie and simply do not care...........it all comes due eventually. Personally i think a state wide vote on net fishing and some real regulation is the only answer. But of course the same political party that has made sure our vote for voter ID was sunk in the courts would fight anything they thought might hurt them politically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts